Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Year 2, Day 192: Psalms 46-47

Psalm 46

Psalm 46 is a classic praise psalm.  And like most psalms, its opening line packs a punch.  God is our strength and our refuge.  He is a very present help in a time of trouble.

That wording got me thinking.  Why call God a “very present help” when it would almost seem more grammatically correct to call Him simply a “present help.”  I mean, you are either present or not present, right?  Either you are there or you are absent, right?

In Hebrew, the word used for “very” is a word that largely means “abundantly.”  In this case, the translation of “very” is fine.  But looking at the word as abundantly brings much more richness to the text.  God is not just present, He is abundantly present.  God is not just in our presence, He is everywhere we look in our presence.

I’m writing this having just finished up a Bible Study on Mark 8:11-21.  In this passage towards the beginning, Jesus gets pretty ticked off at the Pharisees for demanding a sign from heaven.  {Not just any old sign mind you ... but a divinely spiritual sign!}  Jesus is largely irritated at the Pharisees because their faith is constructed in such a way that they think God is more in the supernatural miracles such as manna from heaven and Elijah’s calling down fire upon the water soaked altar than He is in the normal world around them.  As I taught on that passage, one of my main points was that God can be found everywhere, not just in the sacred places we create for Him.  We need to be able to see God everywhere we look, not just in the Holy Places that we designate as sacred.

I think this message is also largely applicable to that which I was speaking about earlier.  God is abundantly present as a source of help in our life.  He’s everywhere!  That is why it is important to think of God as a “very present help” and not just a “present help.”  God’s help comes from any direction and every direction because He’s not just present, He’s everywhere!

Who would have thought I could get five paragraphs of theology out of a word like “very,” eh?

Moving on in the psalm, I love the central theme of this psalm.  God dwells in the midst of His holy habitation, and it shall not be moved.  I hear that as if it is a supernatural law of physics.  Nobody is powerful enough to move God’s holy habitation because God is in it.  The presence of God makes something immovable. 

Steady. 

Rock solid. 

The presence of God is significant.  The nations rage around us.  People’s opinions are a dime a dozen – even their opinions on our life!  In America, we’re about to enter a time and a place where everyone is going to “become an expert” on politics, foreign affairs, and the economy simply because it is an election year.  Turmoil will abound.  Yet the place or person in whom God dwells shall not be moved.  Thanks really cool.

“Be still, and know that I am God,” the Lord says.  He breaks the bow.  He shatters the spear.  So often I hear the emphasis of those lines as being upon the nouns, but I think the real emphasis is upon the verbs.  He breaks and shatters them.  He makes the implements of our rage and turmoil useless against Him.  That’s power.

Reading through this psalm, I am really inspired to be a rock for God.  Yes, I know I will have my days of faltering.  But this psalm really inspires me to be a rock for God.  I want to be someone that is ready to be used by God to stand firm for His ways.  I want to be the person that can see God everywhere and use everything to be that teachable moment about God.  I want to be that holy habitation that is immoveable and unshakable simply because God is present inside.  Who’s with me?

Psalm 47

As we move along into Psalm 47, I am equally inspired.  Yes, absolutely this is a song about praising God.  This is absolutely a song about God’s glory.  Above all else, this is a psalm attributing greatness to God.

However, the place where I am truly inspired is in the humbling beginning of this psalm.  “He chose our heritage for us.”  He allowed us to know Him.  He called us to be sons and daughters of God through His Son.  That’s incredibly humbling.  As great as God is, He chose us to be with Him.  That thought drops me to my knees in recognition of how undeservedly I am in His presence.

May His name be glorified!  May His name be praised!  He has indeed done marvelous things!  And He has seen fit to call our heritage to be with Him!  Give praise to the Lord today!


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment