Friday, July 20, 2012

Year 2, Day 201: Psalm 56

Psalm 56

Afraid. 

The word rings twice in Psalm 56.  “When I am afraid, I put my trust in You.”  “In God I trust, I will not be afraid.”  David felt fear.

Haven’t we all felt fear?  As I am writing this, I think about the times in my life when I was genuinely afraid. 

A few years ago, I was driving on a back road in Pennsylvania just after a rainfall.  It was spring, and there was a place in the pavement where the ground had heaved underneath.  For about a hundred feet along the road, there was a place where the road on the left was a full inch or more higher than on the right.  As I drove up that road, my tire fell off that ledge.  As the tire hit the wet road below, the car began to fishtail.  I slammed into the guardrail having done a 270 turn across the road.  I bounced off of the guardrail and came to rest facing the wrong direction in the far lane of the road.  Immediately I go out of the car and started directing traffic to slow as I collected pieces of my car that had broken off.  It was then that I got a good glimpse of the sheer eighty foot drop on the other side of the guardrail.  Had that guardrail not been there, I would surely have died.  I felt fear.

I remember one night after midnight when my cousins and I were visiting my grandparents in Upper Michigan.  We snuck out of the house and headed into town just to get out and talk without anyone hearing us.  We didn’t do anything wrong, but on the way back home we had to walk about a mile without very many houses near to us.  It was dark, foggy, and we constantly heard noises behind us.  We felt like we were being watched.  About halfway home, the three of us decided to just run for the house.  I doubt there was anything there except some deer or maybe a dog.  But I felt fear.

Fear is all around.  In some cases, fear helps keep us safe.  A healthy fear of death has turned me into a better driver as I have learned many lessons behind the wheel.  A healthy fear of the dark and deserted places has kept me safe on many occasions.  But in other cases, fear paralyzes us.  There are things I wouldn’t try because I was so afraid of failure that I was genuinely afraid to even try.  There are people who have been slandered in my presence because I was too afraid of peer pressure to speak the truth.  Fear is all around us, and it can be for the good or for the bad.  The real question becomes, what do we do with the fear that is around us.

What does David do?  David senses the fear and turns to the Lord.  He knows that he cannot prevent the fear from coming.  But he can go to the Lord to help minimize the fear and maybe even use it to his advantage.  Through the fear, David’s relationship with God grows.

I love where David goes towards the end of the psalm.  He echoes the point that he makes in the first stanza.  If we are with God, why let fear affect us negatively?  What can man do to us that God cannot make right?  Even if I should die, cannot God deliver me into His promised eternal life?

This is reason to praise God.  This is reason to enter into service to God.  He can deliver us from fear so that we might walk in His light.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment