Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Year 1, Day 19: Genesis 20

Faithful Behavior

I’ve spoken in the past few chapters about Sarah’s lack of faith and her desire to take matters into her own hands.  As I read through this chapter – especially when we hear Abraham explain himself in Genesis 20:13 – I think we can see the break in the armor of Abraham’s faith, too.  I don’t say that to denigrate Abraham or to think any less of him.  Indeed, who am I to judge?

Actually, I say this because it makes him a flawed hero.  If God can love a flawed hero as much as He loved Abraham, there is no reason to think that God can’t love a flawed human like me or you.  If God can turn a flawed Abraham into a hero in faith, He can turn us into flawed heroes as well.  Faithfulness is about God’s character, not ours.  God made Abraham faithful in spite of his flaws.

Abraham’s Flaw

So where is this chink in Abraham’s armor of faith?  Well, we’ve been talking for a while now about how Sarah was barren and God was powerful enough to combine an old man with a barren woman and after many generations bring about the salvation of the world.  That’s the long term point of view given from a perspective of being generations after Christ.

For a moment, contemplate what happens if Sarah were to have had sex with another man.  Would not doubt be cast on whether Sarah’s child was Abraham’s – and thus God’s – doing or the product of the other man?  You see, by allowing his wife to act as though she was his sister, Abraham is displaying that he doesn’t fully get what God is doing, either.  While He is certainly faithful to God, he doesn’t get God’s long-term plan.  He is willing to compromise God’s long-term plan for his own short-term survival.  If he understood God’s plan, he would know enough to protect the sanctity of Sarah’s womb.

You know what?  That is completely the grace I need to hear today.  How many times can I look back on my past and say, “If I only knew then what I know now – if I only knew what God was up to – then I would have made other choices!”  I can say that repeatedly for my past! 

But here’s the cool thing.  When God finally brings about Isaac and explains to Abraham what’s going on, Abraham no doubt feels the same way!  God loves Abraham, who typically only gets His plan after God fully explains it.  If that’s true, then God can love me and you when we struggle and make mistakes and only “get it” after God demonstrates clearly what He is up to.  Now there’s grace – even in the Old Testament!

Abimelech

I’d also like to look at Abimelech.  Abimelech technically comes first in the story, but today I needed to get those thoughts regarding Abraham out first.  So here is Abimelech.  He takes what he knows and acts according to his legal right.  He thinks Sarah is available and he takes her.

However, God intervenes.  God intervenes to do what Abraham does not: to protect the sanctity of Sarah’s womb.  But there is more.

God also intervenes to protect Abimelech from getting caught in Abraham’s lies.  One of my favorite quotes is “God protects the fools and the innocents.”  Often I am more the fool than the innocent, for the record.  But God protects Abimelech in spite of his ignorance.

So what can we learn here?  Genesis 20:6 tells us quite clearly that God knows Abimelech’s innocence in this matter.  Therefore, we can trust that even when we stumble into the trap of other people’s sinfulness God can sort out the truth.  If we are innocent and if we are pure, God knows.

Conclusions

On this day I am given two messages that I desperately need to hear.  
  • Message number one is this: Go and do what God has called me to do.  If I fall and stumble into other people’s sinfulness along the way, I should trust God to sort out the details. 
  • Message number two is equally important: Don’t ever stop trying to fully grasp what God is doing, and don’t ever work my own path in order to accomplish what I think God should be doing.  He’s already doing it and I need to be patient.



  <><

No comments:

Post a Comment