Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Year 1, Day 4: Genesis 4

With the Help of the Lord

Genesis 4 gives us a great perspective on the results of the fall.  But before we get to the first murder, let’s talk about the first few verses.  First, notice that Eve’s response at giving birth is “With the help of the Lord…”  Even after the fall, Adam and Eve are still involved with God.  They could have taken their rejection and casting out of the Garden of Eden personally.  But Eve didn’t do that.  She accepted the consequences and continued to celebrate God’s presence in her life.  When she gave birth, she acknowledged that only through God was the birth possible.  Thus, she gave birth to Cain.

Then she gave birth to Abel.  Abel is a Hebrew word that means “breath,” “temporary,” or “meaningless.”  Isn’t it ironic that Abel is given a name that is symbolic for the amount of time that he would spend living?

Offerings to God

Okay, now let’s get to the main event.   I remember as a young kid being taught that Cain’s offering was bad and Abel’s offering was good.  I’ve always wondered about that teaching.  What’s wrong with giving to God out of the fruits of our life?  Some have told me that God only accepts meat offerings.  I believed that one for a while, too.  Well, that is until I read Leviticus 6.  Then I found out that God accepts all kinds of offerings based upon the rationale for the offering being made.  So if God can accept a grain offering as well as a meat offering – so long as the rationale is proper for each sacrifice, what’s so wrong with Cain’s offering?

To answer this, let’s look at the story.  Cain brings some fruit of his grain.  Abel brings some of the fat of some of the firstborn.  There is a sense of intentionality in Abel’s gift.  Abel seeks out the firstborn and returns some back to God.  Cain, on the other hand, just brings some offering from some of his fruits.  You see, the difference is not in the offerings themselves but in the motivation behind the gift! 

Cain brought some sort of gift out of some portion of his labor.  Abel brought a good portion out of the first fruit of his labor.  Cain’s gift is an afterthought; Abel’s gift is a true tithe back to God.  No wonder God doesn’t find Cain’s gift pleasing and He does find Abel’s gift a pleasant aroma.  The question I struggle with at this point is simple: what about my offerings?  Sure, I give to the Lord.  But do I give out of the first fruits because I want God to have the first and the best?  Or do I give out of whatever I have already reaped knowing that I have plenty to spare after I’ve given to God?

Murder

So Cain plans Abel’s murder, invites him out into the scene, and kills him.  Unlike his parents, who accepted their punishment and found a way to live with God even outside the Garden, Cain cannot accept it.  Cain kills Abel and begins his fall.  Let’s trace his fall through the scripture.  Cain is guilty of:
  • impiety (v. 3), 
  • anger (v. 5), 
  • deception (v. 8), 
  • murder (v. 8), 
  • falsehood (v. 9), 
  • self-seeking (v. 13), and 
  • self-alienation 

All of this is against God Himself (v. 16).  The sin in Cain’s life spins him out of control.  At any point he could have easily repented and drawn back to God.  But he does not.  With each step he turns further away from God and gets further and further from God’s ways.  Unrepentant sin has a horrible way of corrupting our whole life.

In fact, look at how unrepentant sin corrupts whole generations – not just individual lives!  Lamech – notice that Lamech is the seventh generation listed from Adam and remember that the number seven signifies completeness – marries two women and brings polygamy into the picture in spite of God’s ordination of monogamous marriage in the creation accounts.  He kills a person for simply wounding him and thus demonstrates his desire to take judgment out of God’s hand and keep it in his own.  He considered himself to be the master of his own destiny.  Unchecked sin gets taught throughout the generations until it spirals out of control to the point that people no longer feel a need God.  That is the danger of unchecked and unrepentant sin.

Seth

My last little pondering has to do with the last notation in this chapter.  So much room in this chapter is spent on the aspect of sin while such little room is spent on the aspect of true faith.  I think that’s justified.  Sin can have such dramatic sweeping consequences and suck a grand amount of life and energy out of us.  But life with God can be so easy.  A little repentance, a little desire to follow God, and a little faith is really all that it takes. 

Adam and Eve continued to exist with God even after their fall, unlike Cain.  A third son is born to them and God’s name continues to be praised.  In fact, not only do Adam and Eve continue to walk with God, but others around them learn to do so.  Through Adam and Eve and their willingness to let people look into their life, others learn to call upon the name of the Lord.


Call upon the name of the Lord and see the difference it makes.

3 comments:

  1. Let me follow up from yesterday's comment that I don't really believe that, I have just been told that theory and like to try it on for size every once in a while.

    Genesis 4 and on tells the rest of the story of sinful man. (Isn't it sad how fast humans messed stuff up, Moses ((and the Holy Spirit)) only wrote 2 chapters about perfection, and the rest is about how bad we screwed up.) But aside from that note, I read Genesis all the way through just this past year and I liked when you took us through the events of Cain's sin. I would like to add that I never realized the extent of his sin. His tendencies were passed down to the next generation, and the next generation, and the next generation and so forth and so on. They were passed down so much that in fact they became the opposition to God's people the Israelites. They were the ones that God did not want the Israelites to marry.

    Now, to take a second and ponder on that for a second, how our actions have so many more ripple effects than just ourself and our circle that we can see one just has to refer to and reread life and generations of Cain. This is good to remember when coming to a decision of sin or not. Not that law and consequences should run your life, because we live in state of grace, but as Paul says, "Shall we continue sinning that grace may abound, by no means!"

    So remember, if you murder someone your family could be the next family that is standing in opposition to God's children :P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your concluding thought. You never know what sin is going to become generational. You never know what sin is going to be taught to your kids. You never know what sin is going to get so out of control that it is the sin that prevents your great-great-grandkids from even being able to see God. Not that I think we are responsible for the sins of others. But we are certainly responsible for the ways that we allow ourself to influence each other.

    That is the scary part about sin ... and I think about it just about every time I log onto Facebook for example. Every post I make, every comment I add, every post a friend makes on my profile page. You never know what posted thing is going to have a negative impact. This is why I have a low friend count. People who post things opposed to the development of faith get tossed pretty quickly because for me my FB profile is a part of my public ministry/testimony.

    On the other hand, the reverse is true. You never know what positive thing is going to have a positive impact. I've had a number of people respond positively to things that I thought were personally not all that deserving of the response. God works that way, and it's pretty cool when it happens because it is so clearly God when it happens.

    I'll conclude this before it gets any more wordy. I like your statement "They were the ones that God did not want the Israelites to marry." That hit me. Can you imagine being under the designation of "God doesn't want me to marry anyone from His people?" To fall that far must have so little hope in one's life. Not that I am trying to judge, because sin is sin and all have fallen short - me included. But can you imagine being so far from God so as to live under the designation from God as "the undesirable for marriage" ... ?

    {Oh, and thanks for the clarification from the post on Gen 3. I wasn't sure you really believe that, but it was a great thinking point for the day.}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I meant to say something about a book I finished reading last night. Ever read any Frank Peretti? He's a Christian fiction writer, and some people think he goes a bit off the deep end with the way he presents evil's actual presence in this world. {As an example, his books This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness actually have demonic and angellic personnas as a part of the story. Personally, I think they are great fictional reads.}

    Anyway, I just finished his book called "The Oath." Really good fictional story about generational sin. And he has a great fictional way of representing how a person's getting "hooked by sin" affects their ... heart. I'll leave it at that.

    Keeping in mind his stories are all fiction and not meant to be true stories, I think his books are great reads. He has a great knack for telling spiritual truth through completely fictional tales.

    ReplyDelete