Saturday, January 8, 2011

Year 1, Day 8: Genesis 8

Life Upon the Ark

So God smiled upon Noah in his absolute obedience.  As I left of yesterday, God is a God who fulfills His promises.  Notice the length of time that Noah was on the boat.  He had a short time to build it and collect all the animals, but he got to spend a full year (plus a few days) on the boat!

I know it’s not in scripture, but I wonder what had to go through Noah’s mind as he was on the boat.  Did he think he had gotten himself into more than he could manage?  Did he wonder how long God would make him dwell in the wonderful (but confining) security of the ark?  Sure there was plenty to do – but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t plenty of time to think about what had happened, too.  I wonder how I would have managed knowing that I was kept in extreme safety while outside the boat God was about the task of destroying the lives of all creatures that had the breath of life within them.

However, with chapter 8 this flood story turns from one of judgment into one of redemption.  Yes, I still stand by all the stuff I said about Noah in my blog yesterday.  But the reality is that God was righteous in selecting Noah and beginning again with him.  This story is about a new start – although at the same time God had to know that simply destroying the wicked ones alive does nothing to purify the evil within the hearts of humanity.  Even if we could get everyone to do good today doesn’t mean that we have cured evil from this world.  It just means that for this single day evil wasn’t allowed to influence the world.  But it’ll come back quickly, let me tell you.  And we don’t have to read very far in Genesis before we see that this baptism/cleansing of the world doesn’t last too long. 

After all, look to the end of this chapter.  God promises to never curse the land again.  But god also recognizes that mankind’s heart is evil from its youth.  There’s nothing we can do.  You can take even the most righteous person on the earth and there is still evil within them.  You can take the children of the most righteous people on earth and they will still have evil in their hearts.  It is inevitable.

Redemption

But even still Genesis 8 is still a story of redemption.  God knows full well that human hearts will only be purified through Christ Jesus – and even then only when Christ comes in the day of the Lord.  So this story can be seen as a precursor to Christ’s work.  Noah was spared out of the waters meant to cleanse the earth.  So too are we spared out of our sin through Christ.  God started all over with Noah knowing full well that even Noah’s heart had the capacity for sin.  So too does God start anew with us when we come to Christ – even though we still have the capacity for sin.  This story is a story of redemption – and it sets the stage to help us understand what God is doing to us through Christ as well.

Life Off the Ark

Eventually, Noah does get off that ark.  And at least the first thing Noah does is give praise to God and offer up a sacrifice.  After all, all along I have never once doubted Noah’s loyalty or faithfulness to God.  Noah knows full well to whom the thanks for his salvation should be given.  Let’s face it – God finds Noah’s sacrifice pleasing.  God has acted in his righteousness and Noah pauses to give Him glory for sparing him and his family.  The truth is that we, too, should give just as much thanks.  Had Noah not been spared, humanity would have ceased to exist.  So Noah’s deliverance here is really just as much our deliverance as well.  Furthermore, haven’t we been spared from our own sins just as much as Noah was spared from the judgment of the earth?

So I wonder, do I give thanks to God enough?  Do I ponder the depth of God’s righteousness as I ought?  Do I ponder the depth of God’s judgment and love as I should?  But then I am reminded of a quote from the movie I watched last night. “There is no path to God.”  Nothing I do can be enough to justify myself.  I cannot work myself to God.  Rather, God has justified me.  So I should not be asking those questions above in the sense of “often enough to justify myself.”  I should be asking those questions in a sense of “often enough to display my gratitude for what God has already given me.”

Praising God isn’t about earning His favor.  Giving glory to God isn’t about causing Him to love me more.  Pondering God’s righteousness isn’t about me closing the gap in my relationship with God.  God does all the work.  He already loves me.  He already desires to give His favor.  He already closed the gap in our relationship.  Doing this things is about responding to what He’s already done.  That’s why Noah made a sacrifice after coming off of the ark.  

I think that’s a good place to stop for the day.  God’s peace. 

<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment