Friday, January 21, 2011

Year 1, Day 21: Genesis 22

Confession

Genesis 22 has never been one of my favorite passages.  I don’t think it is because it is over-done … because certainly some of my favorite passages are the typical ones (John 3:1-21 for example).  I think it because inevitably every time I hear someone speak on this passage they always focus on poor Isaac who had to carry the wood for his own sacrifice.  Of course, never mind that it wasn’t for his sacrifice in the end.

Moriah

So, I will try to go another route – and trust me, there is plenty in this passage to bring out.  First, I did a search for the word Moriah.  {No, this has nothing to do with my love for Tolkein}  And I found out something interesting.  The Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land gives us this interesting tidbit, which I think somewhere I knew but couldn’t recall:

Moriah (Or land of Moriah): “The land that was designated to be the place of sacrifice of Isaac (Gen. 22:2). It is also the hill where God appeared to David and where the House of God was to be built by Solomon (2 Chr. 3:1).”

That’s pretty cool.  Here in this passage Abraham takes Isaac up to the future Jerusalem and discovers that God provides an alternate sacrifice.  If this isn’t a foreshadowing of Jesus going up to Jerusalem to be sacrificed and take the punishment that we deserve, then I don’t know what is!  I especially like that Abraham calls Moriah – future Jerusalem – the place where “God will provide.”  God provided a ram for Abraham; God provided Jesus for us.  It’s stories like this that makes scripture very cool.  It’s stories like this that removes any doubt at all that God is at work in this world.  You can’t make this stuff up.

Sacrifice

So I’m also pondering this idea of sacrifice.  Abraham was willing to give up everything he had been promised through Isaac to follow God’s direction.  Yet at the same time, Abraham also had the promise that Isaac would begin God’s chosen line through Abraham.  At the very least, there is plenty of room for confusion within Abraham.  He goes forth trusting God but unsure of what the future will actually look like.

As I ponder this idea of sacrifice, I also must ponder myself.  What am I willing to sacrifice?  What “sacred cows” in my life have I established as off-limits to God?  Will God truly be willing to use me so long as I hold onto those sacred cows?  Does not God demand that He be first?  When God gives the 10 Commandments to Moses doesn’t He say that we are to have no other gods before him?  What do I let get in my way of following God?  Salary?  Property?  Possessions?  Relationships?  Fame?  Renown?

You see, I have a vision for the churches in which I serve.  Wherever I go I have a vision for this congregation to become a disciple-making congregation first and foremost.  Above all else I want the focus to be on making genuine disciples of Christ who are not conformed to this age but transformed through the renewal of their mind. 

At the same time, I also know that in order for that to happen God expects us to put Him first.  God expects us to put all of our trust in Him – He will provide.  Only then will we ever have a chance at becoming a disciple-making congregation.  Sacred cows need to be taken to the altar.

When we put anything before Him, we will not be making disciples for Him.  Instead, we will be making disciples for whatever we put ahead of Him.  I think that’s why Isaac’s sacrifice is so important.  When Abraham places God before Isaac, God knows that He’s got Abraham.  When Abraham clearly demonstrates that nothing comes before God, God knows Abraham understands relationship with God.  Only when I genuinely demonstrate willingness to give up what I have in order to follow God’s direction will I truly say to God, “You have me.”  And only when He truly has me will I be able to make true disciples.

I love the line in Genesis 22:16 where God says, “Because you have not withheld your only son.”  This is such a great theological line.  Because Abraham did not withhold his only Son, God will use Abraham’s lineage to bless the world by not withholding His only Son.  But I think it’s deeper than just a foreshadowing of Jesus.  Because Abraham truly is centered on God, God can use him.  Nothing – not even family – comes between Abraham and God.  Now that’s a close relationship with God.

Closeness to God

So I wonder, what have I used to close the door on God as He asks me if I am willing to follow?  What have I told God I was unwilling to do that is preventing me from truly being His disciple?

Forgive me if this ending of this passage sounds mournful, but I think that is my current state of mind.  I think I am mourning because of all the stuff that I have as an American Christian.  How much of it gets in the way of truly following God?  Like the rich man before Jesus, I think of all the stuff I am unwilling to sacrifice.  I cannot help but think of all the things that I allow to come between God and me and it pains me as I write this.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment