Thursday, August 25, 2011

Year 1, Day 237: Acts 4

Before the Sanhedrin

So in continuing in the theme of yesterday, we find Peter and John even more boldly proclaiming their faith.  Keep in mind they are speaking directly to the Sanhedrin in this chapter – and leading the Sanhedrin is none other than Caiaphas and Annas.  They were quite literally the ring leaders for Jesus’ death!  If there was anyone on the face of this earth that they might want to be careful around it would be these two!

But what do Peter and John say?  They speak boldly the name of Christ.  They speak boldly the truth of Jesus’ crucifixion and how it was these very people who had Him crucified.  They continue to throw their life in “the path of the bus.”  Their safety and their livelihood are irrelevant at this point.  The truth is relevant, and that is what they talk about.

Power of the Holy Spirit

We should note here that it clearly says that Peter makes this bold claim through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Peter doesn’t do this under his own power; rather, Peter is filled with the Holy Spirit and lets the Spirit speak through him.  It is obvious that Peter has the Holy Spirit. 

But that makes me wonder.  It is obvious that I have the Holy Spirit?  Or is it obvious that you have the Holy Spirit?  If occasionally the Holy Spirit makes us act like this, how obvious is it to the world that I have the Holy Spirit?  How often do I throw life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in front of the bus so that I can proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord?  Or, more likely, do I stand up and try to finagle God into proclaiming a message that lets me rest securely in my pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness?

Response of the Sanhedrin

The Sanhedrin understand that their hands are tied.  They were able to incite the crowds against Jesus because He called Himself God.  They were able to twist that declaration into something they called blasphemy and from their perspective legitimize the crucifixion.  But Peter and John were doing no such so-called blasphemous act.  They weren’t claiming to be God; they were still claiming Jesus to be God!  So the Sanhedrin couldn’t use the blasphemy angle on them.  Furthermore, the crowds once more supported them because a miracle had happened and God’s name was being praised!  So the Sanhedrin let them go with a stern warning.

A Warning

I wonder if Peter and John were at all disappointed in only receiving a warning.  Could they have been so ready to follow their Lord that they expected to be jailed and executed like Jesus – and John the Baptizer before Him?  I don’t know, and the text doesn’t tell us.  I just had that thought cross my mind and I had never really thought that way before.

Pushing the Envelope

So Peter and John hear the warning and decide to push the envelope even more.  Is it right to obey mankind or is it right to obey God?  Sure, we all know the answer.  Even the Jewish Sanhedrin knew the answer to that one.  The problem is that we as human beings tend to think that God supports what we think rather than questioning whether we are contrary to God.  Not too many of us are really willing to question whether or not we represent God’s opinion.  In this case, Peter and John are bold enough to make the statement.

So where does this lead us?  What was the point of the miracle?  What was the point of the spiritual gift of healing used by Peter?  God’s name is praised.  God’s people are drawn closer to Him.  God’s people are emboldened to focus even more on proclaiming His Gospel truth.

I wonder – is that the result of most of our church gatherings today?  When we gather for worship, how many of us are really emboldened to go proclaim God’s Word, God’s truth, and give praise to God’s name?  Before we answer that, look at whether we actually do it or not.  Because if we say we feel it and never do it, then we don’t really feel it, either.  We just know that’s what we should be feeling and we are convincing ourselves that’s actually the way that we feel.  So … do our worship, our Bible Studies, and our times of fellowship with other Christians really bring us to praise God’s name and embolden us to tell the world about Him?  Do those things really cause us to want to live in fellowship with one another and have everything in common?

Honest Reflection

I don’t know.  I see an awful lot of people in this world come to church – maybe even slip out the back door early so they can get to their lunches – and not really show much interest in praising God’s name throughout the week.  I see an awful lot of people who say that there is a God but proclaiming God’s love is not their number one agenda item.  I see an awful lot of Christians who appear to have the prettiness of their church building and the joy of worshipping their way as a higher priority than actually proclaiming God’s love to the people in this world that really need to hear it.

When I look at the world full of Christians – even myself – I guess I don’t see much that resembles Peter, John, and the early church.  I don’t see much of the Holy Spirit.  I see lots of good talk.  I see people with great intentions.  But I don’t see much of the actual Holy Spirit.  And that makes me sad today.

<>< 


No comments:

Post a Comment