Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Year 1, Day 333: 2 Samuel 16

There are two great stories in this chapter – and a third one that I struggle continually with.  I’m not saying I disagree with the chapter, but I am saying that it causes me consternation because the message it gives is not black and white or cut and dry.  But we’ll save that one for last today.

Ziba’s Meeting with David

As we begin this story we see David met by Ziba, Mephibosheth’s servant.  Ziba comes bearing bunches of gifts for the king and the king’s family.  David receives the gift and promotes Ziba to being master over Mephibosheth’s material wealth.  Of course, this guarantee is only good once David gets back into power.  For as long as Absalom is in power, David has truly lost his ability to assert who is in control of the land.

There’s only one problem with this – 2 Samuel 19:24-30 reveals to us here that Ziba is outright lying.  There is no truth in these words.  Mephibosheth is not in favor of Absalom; Ziba just wants to earn the favor of the king.

There are at least two lessons that we can learn here.  First, remember what I said a few days ago about being wary of those who come bearing lavish gifts?  This story proves the point of this.  People who come bearing lavish gifts often have an agenda behind the gift.  Take time to sniff them out, although we need not deny legitimate gifts. 

The second lesson is that we shouldn’t fear making mistakes.  David receives Ziba, but as we shall see in the future chapters David deals with the liar once he discovers the truth.  It is wrong to err, but it is more than acceptable to go back and correct prior errors once the full truth has been revealed.  We cannot be expected to be all-knowing mind readers.  We will make errors.  When discovered, we need to correct them.

Shimei’s Curse

The next story that we hear about is regarding the Benjaminite, Shimei.  I love this story because I need to hear it so often.  As a human being I tend to reflect the humanity that I see in Abishai.  I know what is right, I know when I am walking in the Lord, and when people persecute me accordingly I want justice now.   I even wouldn’t mind being the vehicle of that justice!  But that is not the spiritual high road.  David has proven again and again with Saul that in this type of circumstance he is incredibly spiritually gifted.  David looks to Shimei and knows how to treat him.  David lets Shimei speak the slander trusting that God will be the judge between him and Shimei.  If Shimei is correct, then at the very least David will not be guilty of being an obstacle in God’s way.  But if he is righteous, David will let God judge his adversary rather than him.

I am humbled by David here.  It is so easy to think “I am right; they are wrong.”  But it is better to think “Let me do what I think is faithful and let them do what they think is faithful; and let God be the judge.”  Having said that, though, I do think we should also be advocates against known sins.  If it is a clear-cut incident where one person is right and the other is clearly in sin, then we should be firm.  But in this instance David is unsure of what the will of the Lord is.  So it is best to let it play out.

I am further humbled by the intention of the last sentence in that last paragraph.  David shows great spiritual maturity here in that he acknowledges that he might be wrong about God’s will.  That’s a lesson I can really hear today, too.  It is easy for me to assume I know God’s will.  The truth is that I am far less certain of God’s will than I’d like to think I am.  I don’t know what God will have me do tomorrow, much less a year from now!  I don’t know what God wants me to say to everyone in this world – sometimes I struggle with how to say what is on my heart.  My spirituality is not crystal clear, and it is good for me to be humbled today as I am reminded of this.  I don’t have all the answers, so it is best to let God be the judge.

Hushai’s Advice

Now let’s get to the story that I struggle with.  Hushai is clearly lying to Absalom.  Hushai says to Absalom when confronted about being David’s ally, “whom the Lord and this people and all the men of Israel have chosen, his I will be, and with him I will remain.”  Now, we can interpret this to say that Hushai is speaking about David when he says these words.  The problem with this is that if this is so then the word “No” that begins his speech is a lie.  When a human being uses the word “No” it means “I am going to argue against what you just said.”  Absalom just told Hushai that he is David’s ally and Hushai says, “No.”  That is a lie as long as Hushai is speaking the rest of the sentence with David in mind.

Of course, if Hushai is speaking that sentence with Absalom in mind, then the whole thing is an outright blatant lie!  Either way, Hushai is lying deceptively to gain Absalom’s trust.  And for the record, I don’t doubt Hushai’s intentions.  Hushai is loyal to David and loyal to God.  That is absolutely certain in my mind.

But it raises a question with which I struggle.  Lying is always wrong.  Yet here it would seem that Hushai is lying quite intentionally in an attempt to defeat Absalom and accomplish God’s will.  Hushai intends to be loyal to David.  How are we to read this passage other than Hushai using deceptive means to try and accomplish what He thinks is God’s will?  Does this mean that it is okay to sin so long as the ends justify the means?  No, I cannot go there. 

There are those who will argue that David establishing his spy network is a good thing – and that might be.  I don’t think God ever says we can’t spy on those who would intend to harm us – think back to God’s command to send the spies into Canaan when the Hebrew people left Egypt!  But for the spies to outright lie in order to remain spies is wrong.  It is lying – and lying is lying.

There are others who will argue that this is war, and the rules about life don’t apply to enemies in times of war.  I won’t go there either.  Jesus died for all, not just His friends.  Jesus says that we are to love our enemies.  Is lying to Absalom going to demonstrate love to him and help bring him back to repentance for his actions?  No – should Absalom discover the lie he will feel betrayed and be driven away from any truth that Hushai might be able to bring to him.  I think how we treat our enemies – especially in times of war – is a great indicator of our faith in God.

I know and freely acknowledge that occasionally we have to choose between the lesser of two evils.  But even then what is appropriate is to acknowledge that we are doing evil out of having no other recourse.  Evil is still evil – even if it is the best of all the available options.  There is no right time to go against the ways of the Lord.

In the end, I struggle with Hushai’s example here.  I don’t have a problem with him collecting information and trying to subvert Absalom’s reign.  But the ways of the Lord are upright and righteous.  Lying does not fit in that category.

I serve a Lord who was rejected by men.  When men came to show just how much they rejected Him, He went to the cross with them and died for them – and me and you, too!  That is righteousness; that is the God that I serve.  Jesus did not lie.  Jesus subverted the culture, but He did not employ unrighteous means in doing so.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment