Monday, February 6, 2012

Year 2, Day 37: Romans 14

Romans 14 Basics

Romans 14 is too often forgotten by me.  There is some really good advice in this passage, and it is advice that I desperately need to remember most of the time.  Unfortunately, I forget it more often than I should.  And there is a danger in Romans 14 as well.  But I’ll get to that a little later.

Here’s basically what Romans 14 says.  If God calls you to do something one way, do it.  If God calls another brother or sister to do it another way, give them the freedom to do it another way and don’t feel that in having your differences that the same God cannot be at work.  What works for you might work for others, but there might be another method that works better for them. 

Essentially, Romans 14 is a chapter about Christian freedom.  It is not a freedom to do whatever we want; it is a freedom to respond to God’s call in ways that make sense to each of us.  This goes back to the comments I made when we began Romans.  We are by nature God’s slaves.  We are not free to do whatever we please.  Where we are free is that we are free to respond to God’s call.

Perhaps an example is in order.  I am a huge fan of Christian Rock.*  I love bands like Skillet, Disciple, Thousand Foot Crutch, The Letter Black, We As Human**, Tourniquet***, Deliverance, and a slew of others I should list here but don’t have the space.  Yet, that kind of music is not for everyone.  I need not feel guilty for listening to music that teaches me scripture and drives me to God.  I also need not require other people to love it.  {However, I do have the right to expect them to accept it as a genuine expression of faith – we’ll get to that later, too.}  Romans 14 gives me permission to express my faith in this fashion and experience faith in this manner with others who also desire to express it this way.

In fact, Romans 14:6 takes it one step further: “So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil.”  If God has told me that something is good in my life, I am not to let it be spoken of as evil.  I am called by God to defend that which God has used for good in my life!  I am called to actively defend personal expressions of faith that are different than other people’s expressions of faith!

Going Too Far

There is an inherent danger in this line of thinking, though.  As humans, we like to apply generalities to life and stretch them way too far.  Romans 14 is not telling me that I can go out and live my life just any old way I desire.  I have no right to take the words in this chapter and say, “Since Christ died on the cross I can do whatever I want and know that if I sin then God will have to forgive me.”  That is pushing the words of Romans 14 too far.  We as human beings like to do this.  We like to make generalizations and then apply them so broad that the truth they contain no longer holds.

You see, verses 17-18 provide the counterpoint to an abusive approach to Romans 14.  “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.”  That which serves Christ is acceptable.  If it doesn’t serve Christ, why would we want to do it?

Here those words well.  Not everything is acceptable.  Not everything is permissible.  Only that which (or who) serves Christ is acceptable to God.  And here we have a great litmus test.  The question is not “do I like something?”  The question is not “is this a legitimate part of my tradition?”  The question that we should all be asking is “does this serve Christ?”  If we would learn to ask this question instead of all the others we like to use as evaluation tools we would be in a much better place in life.

Back to Basics

When we learn this lesson we actually learn how Christ makes us free while we are still in bondage to Him.  We are free to do that which serves Christ, but we are not bound to do everything which serves Christ.  If listening to Christian Rock music serves Christ – and it does – I am free to do it.  I am also free to not do it but accept that other people are free to do it so long as it serves Christ.

Let me take a moment to show the significance of this concept.  Suppose there is a person who wishes to worship on the Sabbath instead of Sunday morning as is the Christian tradition.  So long as it serves Christ, they are free to do so.  In fact, if there is a group of people who wish to worship on Tuesday evening and not worship at all on Sunday or the Sabbath – so long as their worship is truly serving Christ – they are free to do it!

Let me give another fairly general example.  Suppose there is a group of people who prefer to baptize in rivers (or flowing water) instead of inside churches.  So long as it serves Christ, they are free to do it!  But they don’t have the right to criticize people who baptize in another fashion that legitimately also serves Christ. 

The key in Christ is not setting up strict rules and regulations.  After all, when does God tell us that the Holy Spirit works in predictable manners?  Does not the Bible tell us that God’s ways are not our ways (see Isaiah 55:8-9) and that we cannot know from where the Spirit is coming or to where He is going (See John 3:8)?  The key is setting up a proper evaluation tool for discerning the movement of the Spirit in our life: does it serve Christ?  That is the evaluation tool above all else.  If it serves Christ, then it is up to us to make room for it in our understanding of God’s Kingdom.

<>< 

*In fact, I just got to experience Winterjam 2012 in Greensboro, NC, and Skillet put on the best live performance I have ever seen.  In one particular song the drummer – who was beating the heck out of the drums to begin with – and her platform began to be elevated into the air a good 15 feet up off of the stage atop what looked like a scissor lift (And the stage as a good 5 feet up already).  When she got to the top, the whole platform began to spin around at a rate of a full rotation about every 8 or 10 seconds.  Then the guitarist and bassist get on these individual platforms and for the duration of the whole song they are raised and lowered 15 feet into the air.  All this while a phenomenal light show and pyrotechnical show is going off.  It was amazing.

**This is a band I just heard two nights ago for the first time, and I heard them live.  They have a great stage presence.  And I have fallen in love with their song Dead Man.  The lyrics are from the perspective of a person coming to understand what Jesus offers them in life.  The song almost sounds like a conversation between an individual, their old and dead self, and Jesus.  The chorus goes like this: “Sitting here in my grave side, I’ve never been so alive.  You pull the dead man out of me.  I’m not what I was … I’ll never be what I was.  You pull the dead man out of me.”  Great set of lyrics!


***Anyone wanting to listen to Tourniquet can do so for free at their homepage: tourniquetbandcamp.com.  In fact, all their CDs are a $7.77 download.  Well worth it if you like the same style of music that I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment