Sunday, February 26, 2012

Year 2, Day 57: Nehemiah 10

Today I am going to begin with a completely non-theological point of amusement.  I read through the first paragraph of Nehemiah 10 – well, I skimmed it, at least – and I got to the end of the paragraph and began the next one only to realize that I was already reading verse 28.  Nothing like a paragraph of the Bible having 27 verses because it is predominantly 3 names per verse!  Anyway, I was amused at how quickly the first 27 verses of this chapter flew by and I figured I would share.

Curse And An Oath

On a more serious note, having come off of my amusement of the first 27 verses I was hit by a ton of bricks by verse 29.  These people understood that they are entering a “curse and an oath” with respect to God’s ways.  Wow, that’s a pretty bold proclamation right there, and it is times like this that I am really cognizant and grateful for the way that the Old Testament talks about walking in a relationship with God.  They get it: 
  • Follow God’s ways and live in the promise.
  • Disobey God’s ways and be cursed.

There are days when I get so tired of shallow and senseless Christianity: people who proclaim to love Jesus on Sunday but who seem to have no evidence of it in their life except that they show up to church for an hour a week, people who claim to be in a relationship with God but when asked to pray they clam up and seem to have no ability to talk to Him, people who claim to know God’s Word but never come together and talk about what they know and how God can use them to teach what they know to others, etc.  Don’t get me wrong.  I am pointing the finger right at me when I make that comment.  I spent the better part of a decade in my life living that life.  I get frustrated because I know how easy it was for me to live like that and “feel like I was still a good Christian.”  The Christianity that I had surrounded myself with enabled me to feel like I was okay because I was “doing the church thing and I could articulate that I believed in a God.”

In actuality, I was living under the curse and didn’t even realize it.  I had convinced myself that I was in a relationship with God but I was under the curse of following my own desires.  I was not spiritually connecting with my wife – our marriage was good from a worldly perspective but not really “connected.”  I was focusing on my own technological gaming pursuits and not being a good husband or caretaker of the house.  {A video game was more important to me than God’s Word!}  Since I was going to church once a week – and even worse, was enrolled full-time in seminary! – I had the belief that I was doing just fine spiritually.  But I wasn’t.  God was letting me experience the curse of this world while I was convincing myself that I was pursuing Him!  I was cursed by storing up my treasure in the wrong place, and I thank God that a few very important people came along and challenged me to see that God wants something better than what I was giving Him.

I think it is important to realize that when we come to God we enter into a contract of “blessings and curses.”  If we follow His ways, He will bless us by drawing us closer to Him.  If we don’t follow His ways, He will curse us by allowing us to pursue our own desires.  Notice I didn’t say that those who follow will be prosperous and those who don’t will not be prosperous.  God’s blessing does not equal material prosperity.  But rest assured, I know what it is like to be convinced I was living under God’s blessing but in reality I was living under the curse of pursuing the world’s desires.

I think that there is another important point to understand here.  The Hebrew people had no issue with understand God as a God of blessings and curses.  They didn’t see God as a Santa Clause that was only blessings.  God is a God of love and wrath.  He is a God of grace and judgment.  The Hebrew people have no problem accepting it.  They have a much easier time accepting it than we do today, certainly.

What Comes From Blessings and Curses?

As we move through the rest of Nehemiah 10 we get a clear sense of the expectation that comes out of the idea of “blessings and curses.”  The people understand that God has expectations.  The people understand that God wants more of a relationship with us than being known as “the guy whose forgiveness is unmatched.”  God wants to take us, mold us, shape us, be generous to us, and show us what He can do through us.  He wants us to be obedient to Him so that when He works through us we won’t miss it.  He wants to be the focal point of our life so that life makes sense.

The reality is that while God’s work may begin with forgiveness, our work begins with obedience to God.  God has expectations, and those expectations are designed to draw us into a relationship with Him.  That’s what the rest of Nehemiah 10 is all about.  God is gracious, we need to respond obediently.  When we respond obediently, we are preparing ourselves to see the glory of the Lord at work in our lives and the lives of the faithful around us.  When we are obedient, we set ourselves up to live in the blessing of the Lord.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment