Sunday, August 19, 2012

Year 2, Day 231: Psalms 98-99

Psalm 98

I see Psalm 98 as a three-part psalm.  It begins with praise.  Then it moves into reasons for praise.  It concludes with evidence of the praise.  What is the theme that runs through this whole psalm?  Praise the Lord!  He is mighty to save and is worthy of our praise!

The Lord remembers His promises.  The Lord reveals Himself – even to an undeserving creation such as humanity.  His love is steadfast as demonstrated through His people and through the death of His Son.  He is righteous.

I am inspired this morning to sit back and think about some of the ways that the Lord has revealed Himself in my life.  So I have to tell about this experience that happened this past Friday.  I texted one of my teens in my current congregation about the fact that I was just beginning a worship service with leaders from all across the country.  She replied that it was cool and then she said that she had a song stuck in her head.  It is a camp song that we often sang together called Romans 16:19.  I texted her back a quote from the song: “Be excellent!  Be innocent!”  She laughed and replied.  Then I texted her and I said that my absolute favorite line of the song was “And the God of PEACE will soon CRUSH Satan underneath your feet.”  (Romans 16:20) She replied that this line was one of her favorites as well.  So the whole rest of the day I had that song – especially that line – stuck in my head.  She reminded me of the song, and it became lodged in my brain.

Now, what is really cool about this story is that about 4 hours later as our denominational meeting was about to close, our final speaker got up to read from God’s Word and preach.  Want to guess what the reading was upon which he preached?  Yup.  Romans 16:17-20.  The thrust of his message?  We go forth in ministry and discipleship knowing that God will crush Satan under our feet and we should have no fear of him.  Only God could use a teenager half-way across the country to prepare my mind to hear a message from a man who had no foreknowledge of the role he was playing in the story of God unfolding Him in my life.  Only God can do that.  I give the glory and the praise and the witness to Him!

It’s moments like that that I confidently know that I receive witness that there is a God and He is in total control.  It is then that He reveals Himself. 

I am now reminded of the story of Elijah in the cave.  God was not in the wind, the earthquake, or the fire.  But God was in the quiet moment with Elijah.  So it was with me and those around me that day.  God did not reveal Himself in great and wonderful acts of nature.  He revealed Himself in the simple and subtle relationship of two spiritual people carrying on a texting conversation between Minnesota to South Carolina.

Why shouldn’t we praise this God?  Why shouldn’t we lift our voices and sing a new song unto Him?  Why shouldn’t we sing to Him with the lyre and the harp and the guitar and the organ and the piano and the drums?  Why should we hold back?  No, let us come and worship Him with all of creation!  Let us worship Him with the grandeur of the mountains and the ever-present bubbling of the streams.  He is mighty to save and He promises that very salvation to us – even demonstrating this power to accomplish His promises along the way.

Psalm 99

Psalm 99 continues the cry to praise God that we heard in Psalm 98.  But to the witness of Psalm 98 we add an additional means for which we can praise God.  God not only reveals Himself in our present and our future, but also often most clearly He reveals Himself in our past.

God was with Moses and Aaron.  God was with Samuel.  His witness is strong.  His salvation was present in them.  If His salvation is present in them, why should it not be present within us as well?

I can add to that list.  Was God not present with David?  What about with Daniel?  Although he did not appreciate it, was God not with Jonah?  Certainly He was present with Isaiah and Jeremiah and Ezekiel.  He was clearly present with Ruth.  Ester was clearly a tool in God’s hand.  God embraced the sacrificial commitment that He received from John the Baptizer.  Certainly God was with Peter and Paul and James and John and Stephen and Philip and Thomas and all the other disciples.  He was clearly with Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus.  He was with Mary Magdalene and the other Mary.  He was with Lydia and Timothy and Silas and Chloe and Phoebe.  He was with many of the church fathers such as Benedict and Francis of Assisi.  He was with Luther.  He was with Wycliff.  He was with Jonathon Edwards and George Whitefield.  He has been with missionary after missionary into China and other places where their witness is not welcome.  He was with Bonhoeffer and all the other religious people who rose up to try and oppose the evil regime of Nazi Germany.

Think about that list.  I wrote that in the course of about 2 minutes.  Had I more space and more time, I could make that list grow far beyond its current scope.  Is that not a great witness?  God is with them, He is with us who are also His witnesses.  Praise be to God!  Let’s go and worship Him!


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment