Thursday, August 23, 2012

Year 2, Day 234: Psalm 103

Psalm 103

Given the comments on my Facebook “synopsis” for yesterday’s blog post, I think that it is really cool how this psalm begins.  Yesterday a number of my friends and I engaged in some conversation about how we should respond to God versus how we typically respond to God on a normal day.  As if God desired to weigh in on the conversation, we open with the words, “Bless the Lord, O my soul.”

Here’s the neat thing about these words.  The words are a reminder that David is giving to Himself.  David is telling himself that He needs to remember to bless the Lord.  David needs to not forget what God has done for him.  David needs not forget about forgiveness and healing.  David needs to remember how God redeems him. David needs to remember how God crowns him with love and mercy that he doesn’t really deserve.

It seems as though it is David’s personal struggle that prompts the writing of this psalm.  David seems to have difficulty remembering that he should praise God on a daily basis.  He knows that he needs to remind himself how to act towards God. 

The opening of this psalm really does bring me a fair amount of peace.  I might forget to praise God as much as I should.  But at least I am not alone in this.  Furthermore, if God can love David and David had this same flaw, then I can have hope that this flaw of mine will not necessarily keep me from God’s love either!  The same is true for any of us.  Yes, we do need to remember to praise God more.  But we don’t need to fear this flaw and we don’t need to worry that this flaw will keep us from salvation.

From this point on in the psalm, David turns to talk about the character of God.  He has good reason to do so.  We can always benefit from reflecting on the nature of God.  If we are His followers, we are always in the process of becoming more like Him.

So what is the nature of God?  God cares about the oppressed.  God cares about the afflicted.  He cares about the people who need protection.  What about humanity?  Is it our nature to care about those who need it?  Or is it more in our nature to care about those who care about us – especially those who can do something for us?

We also learn that God is merciful.  He is slow to anger.  He is abounding in steadfast love.  Again, this is a quality that I know I as a human being can learn.  So often I am quick to anger – especially as the stress level goes up.  Or when my quality of sleep goes down.  Or when I have too little “down time.”  You see what I am saying?  As the quality of my life decreases, I am quick to anger.  We all are, I think.  The triggers might vary from person to person, but most of us have triggers that make us quick to be angry. 

Not so with God.  He is slow to anger.  He is merciful.  As David says, God does not deal with us according to our sins and He does not repay us for our iniquities.  For this, God is absolutely awesome and I know I could benefit from spending more time contemplating how to accomplish this same feat in being slow to anger in my life.

Having pondered the nature of God, David again returns to ponder the nature of humanity.  David starts by remembering that we are dust.  We are like a flower in a field that is beautifully in bloom for a short amount of time before fading away.  How many beautiful flowers have I seen in a lifespan, only to go on with life eagerly anticipating the next flower to bloom?  So it is with God.  He treasures each of us, anticipating our bloom.  Just as He is anticipating our bloom, He is also present to experience the time after we fade as well.

How does God respond when we fade from life?  He drives away our iniquity.  He separates us from our sin.  He establishes those who obey His commandments into His kingdom.

Indeed, like David we should bless the Lord.  Like David we should remind ourselves of the importance of taking time to bless God.  He does incredible things for us; we should praise Him!  We should also not forget that when we bless the Lord, we do it in the great company of the saints and even the heavenly host!


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment