Monday, October 14, 2013

Year 3, Day 287: 1 Chronicles 15

The Ark Is Brought Forth

As chapter 15 opens, we at least learn than David can learn from his mistakes.  We hear that David finishes his building plan in Jerusalem and then brings forth the Ark.  What do we hear specifically in this passage?  The Ark is brought forth only by the Levites.  Uzzah paid a terrible price; but at least David did learn from the lesson and correct the mistake.

Not only does David correct the mistake, but he also takes precautions to do it completely correctly.  He gathers up the priests and the Levites.  He tells them that a great mistake had been made and the wrath of the Lord broke out against the people.  So he asks the priests and the Levites to consecrate themselves this time and to prepare to administer their duty in the way Moses commanded.

Here we see one of the major themes under David.  David is certainly not perfect, but the worship of the Lord will take precedence.  When David messes up, he messes up big.  But when the time comes to refocus on God correctly, David absolutely rises to the challenge.  David has no trouble going big for God.  He has no trouble rising up to display his “A-game.”  When David is dialed in to the same channel as God, it is absolutely clear that God has his focus.

We also see that people follow him.  When David comes before the priests, they obey his wishes.  The do as he asks.  David was a natural leader.  I think he was a natural leader for several reasons.  First of all, he was a great military general capable of unifying people on the battlefield.  Because of his military success, people would want to follow him.  However, I also think David has a natural charisma.  He explains things well and invites people into the process.  In addition, David is very much a real-life figure.  David may set lofty goals, but they are attainable goals.  David has high hopes, but they are never out of reach and David is always with a plan.  Finally, I believe people follow David’s humility.  He makes mistakes and they are clear for all to see.  He acknowledges the mistakes and makes public course corrections as opposed to covering them up or laying the blame at the feet of other people.  All of these reasons are reasons to see David as a great leader.

Fanfare

As the Ark is brought to Jerusalem, we see that David also arranged for great fanfare in its coming.  This is a celebration.  Not only was the Ark coming in a stately parade of consecrated priests and Levites, but there were musicians and singers who came along.  There were trumpets that blasted the announcement of the coming of the Ark.  This was a very festive event.

That must have been an incredible sight.  Of course, I can’t help but wonder what the typical Hebrew person thought as they watched such a spectacle.  Did they stand in amazement at the fanfare given for moving a stately piece of their history?  Did they stand confused and befuddled wondering why so much rigmarole was being made over a relic of their past?  Did people join in because the celebration was catchy and inviting?  Did people stand back cautiously because they had heard about what had happened to Uzzah?  I’m sure there were many reactions from the gathered inhabitants of the land and especially those in Jerusalem.

I also can’t help but to feel the challenge of the passage.  Yes, this is a special event.  But it is a special event where God is praised.  God is the focus of the event.  God is worshiped and glorified.  Incredible fanfare is made over God and His presence among the people.  I feel challenged.  Do I have the same fanfare when I come to worship?  Do I celebrate so wonderfully when in God’s presence?

A Doubter Among The Fanfare

We do know that there was at least one doubter in the crowd.  Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked upon the procession in disgust.  She saw David dancing and celebrating and she was disgusted.  David was moved by the Spirit – and perhaps the spirit of the event.  It disgusted Michal.

Remember that David replaced her father as king.  Certainly David wasn’t acting very kingly.  He wasn’t stately and reserved in his kingship.  David was real, in-your-face, and didn’t mind people seeing his true relationship with God.  Being a military general, he was not the typical example of the king who sits on his throne in his chamber and rules the land from behind secure doors.  Again, it disgusted Michal.

I can’t help but wonder something else.  When people look at me and the way my relationship with God is portrayed, are people disgusted by the fact that I’m not overly stately?  When the realness of my relationship with God is exposed, who is sitting back disapproving?  When God works through me – my sinfulness and my holiness – are there those who look upon in repulsion?

I’m not saying we should intentionally be trying to disgust people with our faith.  Rather, I ask the questions because I am curious how much I let the opinions of others impact my relationship with God – especially with how I expose my relationship with God.  The opinions of others can often be more important to me than they should be.  My relationship with God needs to be real.  People in this world need to see real and true relationship with God.  It may disgust some along the way.  But then again, how many people looked on with disgust as my Lord and Savior hung on the cross while dying for my sins?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment