Thursday, December 12, 2013

Year 3, Day 346: Daniel 12

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Father/Identity

  • Father: God is the Father.  He is the creator.  He is love.  Our relationship with the Father is rooted in His love for us.
  • Identity: Who we are.  This is defined by God.  It comes from God.  It comes to us through God’s love for us.

In the commentary I wrote three years ago, I spoke of struggling with the words: “Shut up these words and seal the book.”  After all, I’m a person who likes to be informed and who likes to know what is going on.  I enjoy being in the know and being able to make decisions through being informed.  While it’s okay to be informed, it’s not okay to let these feelings push me into the realm of having to be in control.

I’m learning that’s me and unfortunately it is how I want to be.  It’s a rather self-centered attitude to have.  But there is a better way.  Rather than making my decisions and having to be in control, life works best when I remember to take my time and let God be in control and get my identity from Him.  Sure, it’s good to be informed.  But it is far easier to let God be in control and respond to what He brings into my life than it is to have to try and manage the whole world myself.

It’s okay that I don’t have all the answers; God knows what is going on.  It’s okay that I’m not in full control; God is in full control.  It is time I start focusing on that which God has placed into my identity rather than having to exert control over every minutia of detail in my life.  It’s okay for these words – and perhaps more importantly their full breadth of understanding – to be shut up and sealed.  I don’t need to know everything.  I need to know what God needs me to know so that I can be the person He desires me to be.  That’s identity that comes from the Father.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment