Sunday, May 4, 2014

Year 4, Day 124: Numbers 9

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Authority

Authority: Our calling.  This comes from God as king.  Because He calls us as His representatives, He gives us authority to go and do His will.

As a spiritual leader, I am always impressed with Moses in these opening verses.  It doesn’t matter how often I read these verses and how many times I hear these words.  Moses just impresses me when he says, “Wait, let me consult the Lord, and I’ll get an answer.”

I think this answer does three things.  First, it should remind the people that Moses does not have the answers.  He’s not God.  Second, it puts humility on display.  Moses does not need to have an answer for everything.  Third, it models true authority.  Moses is the leader because his authority comes from God.  Going to consult God reinforces this behavior.

When we lead out of our own authority we have no guarantee of success.  We don’t even have a guarantee of saying what God wants us to say.  But when we lead out of humbleness before God’s authority we can make progress in His ways.  Life should be about Him and doing His will rather than us having all the answers.



<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment