Thursday, May 15, 2014

Year 4, Day 135: Numbers 20

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Up

  • Up: Up is the word we use for what we worship.  If we are following God’s will, God will occupy the Up position.  Our life, our identity, our mission, our family on mission is all derived from Up.  This is why God needs to be in our Up position.

I can’t help but feel the challenge of Numbers 20.  In the theological section I wrote three years ago, I spent most of my time talking about the sin of Moses and Aaron being not their disobedient act as much as their self-righteous heart.  As God says, they fail to uphold God and His righteousness in the midst of the congregation.  Rather than remind the Hebrew people of the righteousness of God, they act out of their anger and strike the rock with no mention of God!

Ugh.

How guilty am I of that?  How guilty am I of not reminding people of God’s righteousness?  When having a conversation or a debate, how quick am I to forget that one of my roles is to ask “Where is God in this?”  How quick am I to get caught up in what is going on around me so that I lose sight of God, who should be at the center!

This leads me back to pondering UP.  Who or what am I worshiping?  In those moments where I take my eyes off of God and get caught up in the discussion at hand or the decision to be made, who or what am I worshiping?  If God truly were the center in those moments, I would not forget to ask “where is God in this.”

I believe we are all guilty of this from time to time – especially in the high and low moments of life.  It is easy to get caught up in the excitement, joys, and celebrations of a life going well.  It is easy to get caught up in the pain, hurt, and frustration of a life going poorly.  But when we remember that God is the center, He can bring balance to those moments of high and low by reminding us of what is truly important.  Who is your UP today?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment