Thursday, August 14, 2014

Year 4, Day 225: Luke 16

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Father

  • Father: This is the pinnacle of the Covenant Triangle.  God is the Father.  He is the creator.  He is love.  Our relationship with the Father is rooted in His love for us.  We get our identity through Him.  When the Father is in our life, obedience becomes clear.

Father.  Our identity comes through the Father.  Everything good comes from the Father.  He should be our focus.

When it comes to the dishonest manager, the question we are to ask with relationship to the Father is simple.  How do I manage what the Father has given to me?  How do I manage the time that the Father gives to me?  How do I manage the relationships that the Father has given to me?  Am I shrewd?  Granted, the Father doesn’t call me to be dishonest.  But the Father does call me to use what I have to increase the work of God’s kingdom.

Or what about the teaching on divorce?  Divorce is a sign of the fickleness of our hearts.  We crave our own desires over what God wants for us in community with one another.  We crave our own passion rather than the love that God freely gives to us.  Divorce is a place where our identity is not coming from the Father.

Or take the rich man and Lazarus.  When the rich man was alive, did his identity come from the Father?  Was he focused on what God wanted for his life?  If so, why did he have to plead with Abraham for himself and his brothers?  How sad that the rich man found out too late that the Father and His ways are so important.

On the other hand, Lazarus is at Abraham’s side.  Lazarus is comforted in death by his Father.  He may have had a difficult life on earth, but because he is found in the Father he can know comfort in death.  It makes me wonder just how much a life of identity focused on anything but the Father is really worth it.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment