Thursday, August 28, 2014

Year 4, Day 240: Acts 7

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Obedience, Provision

  • Obedience: Genuine and satisfying obedience comes out of our identity.  Our true identity comes only from Father.
  • Provision: God gives us what we truly need.  God knows our needs better than we can know them.  We learn to trust God to provide for us.

This chapter is a very high challenge chapter.  Here we have a story of a person who stepped up to do the work of God and dies for it.  It is actually a reminder that all but two of Jesus’ own disciples died as a direct consequence of proclaiming their faith.  Judas, who hanged himself, and John, who was exiled to Patmos because of his faith, are the only two who did not directly die in martyrdom for Jesus.

This is fundamentally a question of obedience.  Stephen is willing to speak the truth and not just lose his livelihood but his whole life!  He is willing to give up everything to gain his eternal life.  He is obedient even when everyone around him rejects his message.

In the theological commentary to which I linked above, I actually drawn a neat conclusion that I’d like to reflect here.  The comments between Tom and I are also quite insightful.  Recognizing just how high challenge this chapter is, I can’t help but wonder why I don’t speak truth more often as Stephen does.  I wonder how much obedience is tied to the idea of provision.  If I truly believed in God’s ability to provide for me what I truly need, would I be more willing to sacrifice more in my life?  Or, as it is stated in the comments on the theological commentary, what does it mean that I would give up my whole life easily but struggle with giving up my comfort while continuing to live?  How much does my ability to obey connect with my faith in God’s ability to provide?

<>< 



No comments:

Post a Comment