Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Year 1, Day 348: 1 Kings 7

Better Than a Tithe

So today the first fact that we learn in the first verse is that it took Solomon 13 years to build his own house.  Now, I understand that there are time constraints (or problems) that come along and push the builder back.  But let’s be clear about something.  It took Solomon 7 years to complete the Temple of the Lord and 13 years to complete his house.  Of the 20 years he built, 2/3 of the time was spent on his own personal construction.

My first instinct is to really slam that fact today.  I mean, if there is any act that demonstrates greater concern for himself than for God this is it, right?  To some extent I think this criticism is warranted.  Solomon spends twice as long on his own personal building than he does on the building of the Lord.  Where is his focus, right?

On the other hand, how guilty am I of the same thing?  I count myself as having fulfilled my “duty” to God when I hit the 10% mark!  10% of my money, time, and effort equals a tithe, right?  Well, Solomon clearly gives 33% according to the Word.  So I don’t know if the criticism really should last.  He does go above and beyond the call of duty over three times what would have been expected.  I am humbled by this today.  I came in today ready to blast Solomon and as I type this I find myself needing to be humbled by Solomon’s example.

Temple Furnishings

There is much to be said about the Temple furnishings given at the end of this chapter, but I am going to focus especially on the two named pillars: Jachin and Boaz.  Jachin means “He shall uphold” and Boaz means “May strength be in Him.”  These pillars are reminiscent of the advice that God has twice given to Solomon: “If you only follow in my ways then I will establish my covenant with you.”

How sad it is that these pillars would stand for less than 500 years.  In fact, how sad it is that the person who erected these pillars and named them could not hold fast to their meaning!  Thirty years (or so) after these pillars are erected the kingdom is split and caught in a full slide away from God’s ways.  Things progressively go from bad to worse (with a few bright spots in the kings of Judah) until Judah is taken into captivity and the temple is destroyed.  How sad it is that the advice of God isn’t followed.

Again, though, I have to feel the criticism point right back towards me – or in this case my own country.  How long ago was the heyday for American Christianity?  We had the first Great Awakening in the 1720’s -1750’s with pastors like Jonathon Edwards and George Whitefield leading great theological movements.  In the early 1800’s we experience a second Great Awakening movement led by preachers such as Lyman Beecher and Peter Cartwright.  The late 1800’s saw the development of the Third Great Awakening that brought about the Salvation Army and the Holiness movement.  The years following World War II saw a Fourth Great Awakening with the arrival of preachers like Billy Graham and movements like the Jesus Movement.  Regardless of whether or not you agree with all the spiritual points in this paragraph, it is clear that the Holy Spirit has been at work in our country.  And look at us now.  An awakening happens, a generation enjoys it, and then we slide into spiritual decline.  We are not really any different than the Hebrew people after their Temple was constructed.

In all of this, I think we can learn two things.  First, we must be vigilant with our faith.  We must be vigilant with teaching our faith to the next generation.  We must not weaken in our pursuit of God.

Yet, we must also realize that falling away from God is part of humanity.  We must expect great spiritual movements to wane.  After all, look at the act of Pentecost in the New Testament.  Certainly the church has moved forward since Pentecost, but it didn’t take even a full generation for the spiritual effect of Pentecost to lessen.  It is the way of the world.  This is why we must be vigilant in the pursuit of our faith.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment