Sunday, July 17, 2016

Year 6, Day 198: Matthew 24

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: King

  • King: This is the pinnacle of the Kingdom Triangle.  When we look towards God’s position in the universe, we acknowledge that He is an omnipotent king.  Authority comes from Him.  Power comes through His authority.  He is looking for representatives for His kingdom.

Whenever I read about predictions of judgment, I immediately think about God as King.  Some people read these passages with fear and trembling, only able to focus on the negative aspects of these words.  I agree with them.  The time of judgment and the days leading up to them will not be pleasant.  But in the end, each of us will have our eternal lives held by the hand of God.  I can personally think of nobody else that I would desire to entrust to hold my eternal life and judge me in His own righteousness.

Think about how many parts of this passage speak to His power and His all-knowing.  Of course, I’ve already mentioned the whole judgment thing.  And then there is the timing, which nobody can know except for Him!  If that alone doesn’t demonstrate His kingship I don’t know what does.  Who else is going to be able to save us from the judgment of other people and give us words to say?

Why do we want to acknowledge Him as king?  For me, the reason is rather simple.  There are going to be all kinds of deceiving impulses in this world.  There are going to be false prophets who come along our path.  There are going to be deceptive teachings that bend our ear and lead us into cheap grace – or not grace at all!  If we aren’t centered on Him as king of our life, we will surely not navigate the choices of life amidst all of the distractions and temptations along the way.


<><

No comments:

Post a Comment