Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Year 6, Day 319: 2 Chronicles 20

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Provision

  • Provision: God gives us what we truly need.  God knows our needs better than we can know them.  We learn to trust God to provide for us.

One of the greatest challenges that I face as a human being is walking that lime between following God and following my own desires.  Paul speaks it really well when he writes Romans.  The good that I want to do I do not do; yet the evil that I do not want to do it what I find myself doing.  I genuinely believe that my heart is in the right place.  But my actions do not always follow.

As we’ve looked at the past few kings in 2 Chronicles, I think this is really the underlying issue that we see.  Asa and Jehoshaphat are remembered as genuinely decent guys who tried to follow the Lord.  Yet in both cases we’ve seen them make mistakes.  Spend a little bit of time analyzing those mistakes, however.  Their mistakes are flagrant rebellion against God.  They are subtle encroachments of sin through well-intentioned but ultimately self-centered decisions.

As a good example, take a look at what we have in this chapter.  Many nations come to war against Jehoshaphat.  The nation begins to panic around him.  However, he has the foresight to gather the people and go before God.  God answers him; He even takes care of the battle so that the people of Judah don’t even have to lift a sword in their own defense!  How amazing is this story when it comes to God’s provision!  All Jehoshaphat has to do is remember to take the counsel of the Lord before acting and God does indeed prove that He can provide – and is willing, even more importantly!

We turn to the next story, however.  In peacetime, when things are easy, Jehoshaphat sees an opportunity to provide for himself.  He makes a trade agreement with the nation of Israel.  Initially, this doesn’t sound like a bad thing.  After all, who can really get hurt by a few nations collaborating together to make some money?  However, Jehoshaphat has made a fatal flaw.  As he looks to provide for himself and his country, he forgets to go to God.  He forgets to take God’s counsel.  In doing this, he shows the failing of his own heart.  Jehoshaphat starts to provide for himself rather than consulting God for His provision.

I truly think this is one of my biggest struggles.  I desire to rest in the hands of the Lord.  I know that He can provide for me.  I know that His ways are better than anything I can do for myself.  However, I often forget to check with Him when I see an opportunity.  I forget to pause and ask if something before me is His provision or if it is myself trying to provide for my own needs.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment