Thursday, March 24, 2011

Year 1, Day 83, Exodus 34

Biblical Interpretive Issues

As an example of Biblical interpretive issues, I present to you today the case of Moses and the result of going into the presence of God.  Did you know that Michelangelo did a sculpture of Moses based on this passage and gave him horns?  (For a picture of this, see this link: Moses)

There is a simple reason for this.  The Hebrew word used in Exodus 34:29 literally comes from the root word “horned.”  Now, if we think about what horns are, we think of something that comes out of the head and extends out.  What would a radiating face do?  Well, it would produce a glow that comes out of the head and extend outward. In a way, it makes sense to think of light radiating out of the face as an analogy to horns. I’m not saying Moses grew literal horns, but I am trying to explain why it makes sense that the word used here in the Hebrew text is etymologically tied to the root word for having horns.

In the end, we know from the Masoretic text as well as from 2 Corinthians 3:7 that Moses’ face glowed rather than grew horns.  Michelangelo got it wrong because the Vulgate Bible he was using had a loose translation.  But it does illustrate the translational difficulties that Bible translators (or anyone translating from one language to another) experience as they figure out how words go from one meaning to the next.  Translation is no easy task – which is why it is important to study the Word carefully, diligently, and in company of others.

Transformed By The Presence of the Lord

Okay, so let’s get back to the text.  We know from the above discussion that Moses’ face did indeed glow.  I think it is worth taking some time and acknowledging that Moses’ face was transformed only in the presence of the Lord.  The same is true with us.  We are transformed only in the presence of the Lord. 

What happens to a person that goes to church all their life but never once draws close to the Lord in their heart?  They may experience a few moral and cultural improvements, but they will not be transformed.  What happens to a person who may believe there is a higher power but doesn’t take the time each and every day to submit to that God?  They are not transformed.  It took the presence of God to transform Moses’ face, why should we think it any different with us?

Finding the Presence of the Lord

So, then, how do we find the presence of God?  Let’s start with the advice of Isaiah 55:6.  “Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He may be near.”  How do we seek the Lord?  Well, to me that answer is also simple.  God is found in His Word.  God is also found in prayer.  God is found in true worship.  God is also found in the presence of the followers of God around us.  I think it is fair to argue that God is also found in the other two marks of service and giving. 

Quite simply and quite boldly, if you want to be in the presence of God you must act like His disciple.  In order to act like His disciple, you must be serious about each of the six marks I list here in this paragraph.  If you want to find the transforming presence of God, you must be willing to follow Him in true discipleship.  Moses did.  Again, why should we think it any different for us?

Idolatry

I’d like to tackle one more topic in this blog.  Again we hear a clear warning against idolatry.  This is a very important subject to God, and in the last few chapters we saw for ourselves just how easy it is for people to fall into idolatry.  But what is idolatry? 

Simply stated, idolatry is any time we allow something to substitute for God when we worship.  When we pray to anything but God, it is idolatrous.  When we submit to anything that is contrary to God, it is idolatrous.  When we allow any desire to replace the desire of God’s ways it is idolatry.  When we let anything come between us and our relationship with God it is idolatry.

That’s a pretty tough list of things to keep.  As I have said before, I am glad I live in the time of repentance and forgiveness.  But I must be careful not to allow that to become cheap grace.  Although I know I cannot keep my life from idolatry and I can be forgiven if I repent, I must also be careful not to take that for granted. 

I am an idolatrous person.  Things are always getting between God and me.  But that is why I find it so valuable to come to His Word every day and ponder His secrets.  That’s why it is so important to pray, worship, read, serve, relate, and give as a disciple should.  I may not be able to be perfect, but the process of discipleship helps to re-center myself when I have gone off of the path.  And as always, when I discover I am off the path, it is important to ask for forgiveness of my idolatrous behavior from my Creator. 


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment