Saturday, July 7, 2012

Year 2, Day 188: Psalm 42

Psalm 42

A note of reflection is due as we begin Psalm 42.  In many Hebrew texts, Psalm 42 and Psalm 43 comprise a single psalm.  So, just to be clear, my psalm ends after the 11th verse.  If you have another 5 verses to Psalm 42 than I do, I’ll be talking about those verses tomorrow and calling them Psalm 43.

I hope as you began this psalm you were mindful of the old familiar song that borrows these words.  “As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after you.”  This got me thinking.  What exactly is a deer panting for water?  Being a dog owner, I have this mental image for panting that involves breathing in and out of one’s mouth in an attempt to cool oneself down.  But this is not at all what it means.  Another use of the verb “to pant” is “to yearn for.”  I think we all probably knew that, but I just wanted to make it really clear.

That also got me thinking about the history of the Hebrew people we spent a good part of last year reading.  God called Abraham.  He followed God, but his kids and the generations after them followed less and less until they found themselves in bondage in Egypt.  Then they realized just how much they needed God.  So they were brought out of Egypt and in a last great rebellious act God let the generation wander in the wilderness until they were dead.  But there was a remnant in the next generation that took God seriously.  They became devoted to God and God led them into the Promised Land.  They were faithful for a while, but soon the Hebrew people had forgotten God again.  They fell away in faith and eventually fell once more into oppression under the Assyrians and Babylonians.  But there was that faithful generation that God restored.  God restored a remnant out of captivity that desired His Word.  Then the people fell away again.  From a Christian perspective, God then sent His Son as His people were falling away and Jesus took the small faithful remnant and once more empowered them.

Each of those small glimmers of faith in the history of the Hebrew people is the equivalent of panting.  Those moments where we need relief so much that we actually yearn for it.  And yes, I absolutely mean to phrase it in those terms.  As human beings, we aren’t very good about genuinely yearning for God, God’s Word, and God’s ways until we have fallen pretty hard.  Yes, we give God great lip service.  But do we really yearn for Him?  Just like the moments of communal faith are rare in the history of God’s own chosen people, so are the moments of genuinely panting for God rare in the life of the individual.

I’m not trying to say any of us are pretend Christians.  That’s for God to decide.  But I am saying that I could do a better job at genuinely “panting” after God’s Word and God’s ways and God’s presence.  I could do a better job and having my soul genuinely desire Him.

The remainder of the psalm focuses on the psalmist genuinely asking a question of himself.  “Why are you downcast, oh my soul?”  In other words, what reason do you have to be downcast?

This is actually a really great question – especially if you happen to be a person like me who suffers from the occasional bout of depression.  Sometimes I am just sad … and I don’t know why.  There are days when I am just sad without explanation.  I’m willing to bet that while we may not all share the same frequency of sad days – we all know what it is like to have the occasional day where we just feel sad for whatever reason.  It is on those days that this psalm can be important.  “Why are you downcast, oh my soul?”

The truth is we really don’t have any reason to be downcast.  God loves us.  God knows we are not perfect and He has provided a way for us to be imperfect yet still be found in His love.  God has given us the ability to draw breath each and every day of our life.  God has given us a beautiful creation to enjoy.  And He has given us one another to enjoy it with Him!

Why are you downcast, oh my soul?  With God, there is no good reason to be downcast.  God can work through everything to His glory.  We can be a part of that.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment