Sunday, July 22, 2012

Year 2, Day 203: Psalm 58

Psalm 58

I think Psalm 58 is a great psalm to follow Psalm 57.  So much of the imagery is similar, but from a different perspective.  Again we have a reference to humanity as young lions.  Again we have a reference to mouths filled with sharp teeth.  It seems as though this psalm is also meant to focus us on the ways that we can devour one another if we are not careful.

However, David pushes the envelope a bit further in this psalm.  Look at the scathing remark that David lays out against humanity in verse 3.  The wicked are estranged from the womb at birth, going astray from birth while speaking lies.  At birth!

Now, this is not a concept that is really all that strange to people who accept the spiritual truth of God’s Word.  The Bible teaches that all people are in need of God’s grace.  We are taught that there is not even one person who is righteous apart from the blood of Jesus Christ.  In fact, as cute as little babies can be – the innate self-centeredness of humanity can be seen just as clearly in an infant than anywhere else.

Did you know that among mammals, the human is the most inept of species at birth?  Look at other animals.  In most animals the young can walk from moments after birth.  In those that can’t walk, they can usually crawl up into a marsupial pouch or onto their mother’s back.  What can human infants do for themselves?  Our brains are not yet fully formed and many of our bones haven’t even been joined together!

Then there is the whole feed me, change me, pick me up, put me down, let me sleep, pace the floor with me routine.  Don’t get me wrong.  Most parents I know are happy – in the long-run, at least – to care for their children.  But the reality is that the baby is inherently self-centered.  In fact, science tells us that babies don’t even recognize the existence of anything but themselves for several months!  Babies don’t retain a concept of people existing outside of their view for quite some time.  In other words, babies know who you are and recognize you when you are in their line of sight.  But when you go out of their line of sight they don’t think about whether or not you exist.  They just know you aren’t “present” anymore.

Forgive my foray into infant psychology there, but I think this really does tie in with what David is saying.  Our nature is sin, our flesh is corrupt.  It is that way from birth.  We need Christ from birth – whether we can recognize it or not!  Thus, David can say with genuine sincerity that wickedness and evil begins among us at birth.

As has been consistently true about the psalms, it is good to see where David turns as he works through his situation.  Of course, he turns to God!  Look at the middle of the psalm.  David recognizes that it is God who blunts the arrows of the enemy.  It is God who defangs those who seek to harm us.  It is God who dissolves their evil ways.

Even as I write those words and know the truth of them, I stand convicted of them.  Yes, I know that it is fully God upon whom I should rely.  I know that God is capable of protecting me like no other, even myself!  But do I always live like it?  How often do I try and save myself without looking to Christ first?  It is sad to confess, but I am guilty of forgetting to turn to God from time to time.  Again we have an opportunity to thank God for His forgiveness and His deliverance.

This is a great place to turn to the end of the psalm.  The righteous will rejoice at the work of the Lord.  Even the difficult and horrible work of God’s judgment will cause the righteous to rejoice.  The Lord is righteous in all His ways.  The Lord is just in all of His decrees.  The Lord is perfect in every way – even the ways that we fail to understand.

That’s an interesting place to stop for the day.  We as human beings are corrupt from moment one.  God is righteous forever.  We have no reason to think we should be able to dwell in God’s presence.  But He loves us anyway.  He embraces us.  He makes it possible for us to find our way out of the evil of humanity and into His ways.  God is indeed great!


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment