Friday, July 13, 2012

Year 2, Day 194: Psalm 49

Psalm 49

Psalm 49 has much to say about wealth.  I love the way the psalm ends, “Man in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish.”  It’s a really telling psalm.

One of the main points of this psalm is that all of our money, power, prestige, and fame don’t really do anything for us.  Think about that statement for a moment.  I want that to sink in.

Take a person who has all the money they need to live – enough so that they never have to worry about the present or the future.  What need have they for God?  I believe this is one of the main reasons that Jesus says, “It is harder for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.”  (See Mark 10:25)  Note that Jesus doesn’t say that it is impossible.  Clearly there are exceptions to this rule that Jesus teaches.  But in general, wealth inhibits our relationship with God.

Is it any difference for people with power?  How many genuinely powerful people have you known to also be humble before anyone – much less God?  Or what about prestige?  Whether the prestige is associated from influence or because of an obvious importance to a task – how many prestigious people have you known to be humble and wise before God?  Is fame any different?  Do you typically find the famous among the humble and wise before God?  Again, please note that I confess there are absolutely exceptions to the rule.

As the psalmist hints at, what amount of money can we use to buy our soul – or even our righteousness – from God?  What amount of power can we exert over God?  Can prestige or fame justify us before God?

But let’s even talk about something far more concrete than God.  Death.  We all die, right?  Can our wealth save us from death?  When we die, will not the vultures fight over what wealth we have acquired through their various taxes, legal fees, and debates among the heirs?  Can any of us exert a single iota of power over death?  Can any of us be so famous or prestigious that death will pass us by?

I love the cold dark truth of verses 10-12.  Even the fool sees that the wise die.  The fool and the stupid alike will die and leave their beloved wealth to other people.  All people who live in the pomp of their own selves die like the beasts of the field.

But verse 15 contains a true statement.  God will ransom my soul from Sheol (the place of the dead).  God will pay the price.  No amount of money, fame, prestige, or power that I have will make a hill of beans of difference when I die.  But my relationship with God will make a difference.  God has the power to ransom me out of Sheol!  God even has the desire to do so!  The only question that remains is do I care enough about that fact to make my relationship with God the most important thing in my life?

In a way, it seems like a silly question.  Is anything worth more than my eternal salvation?  Certainly those who are wise would say, “No.”  But do we live like it?

The last few verses of the psalm are very reassuring.  Don’t worry when someone else strikes it rich.  They may seem like they are blessed here and now.  But a reward after Sheol is better than a reward before Sheol any day.  We have no reason to be jealous, because we have a God who will ransom us out of Sheol.

To move beyond the words of the psalm, I am left deeply pondering my life today.  Do I live in such a way as to indicate that my relationship with God is the most important thing in my life?  Do I live my life in such a way as to encourage the people around me to put God first?  How can I do this more efficiently?

To put it a little more plainly … if someone were to observe me – how much would they discern my love for God?  Would my love for God be obvious to them?  Would it in any way be inspiring for them? 

It should be.  It should be the most important thing in my life.  It should be obvious to everyone around me.  What can be more important to me than the fact that God is powerful enough to ransom me out of Sheol?  What piece of wealth, power, prestige, fame, or materialistic possession is more important than that?


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment