Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Year 2, Day 205: Psalms 60-61

Psalm 60

As I began to read Psalm 60 today, I began to think about a road map.  Let me explain.

A few days ago I was comparing the routes between Atlanta and Pittsburgh.  You can go northwest up 75 to Tennessee, then jump on 81 to Wytheville, jump on 77 to Beckley, 19 to Flatwoods, and then 79 to Pittsburgh.  Or, you can take 85 northeast to Charlotte, jump on 77 to Beckley, and then follow the same route described earlier north of Beckley.  These are two completely different routes in the beginning.  They take you in completely different directions.  They take different amounts of time and go across different amounts of mileage. 

But there is one thing that is true about both of them.  Neither is precisely direct.  If I wanted a direct route from Atlanta to Pittsburgh I’d probably be better of flying on an airplane with no stops – but that wouldn’t guarantee an exactly direct route either due to air currents, storm fronts, other flight plans for that day, etc.

Why am I talking today about direct routes?  Well, so often we think of history as times of “good” and “bad.”  There are the times when particular nations had “evil” periods.  I’m thinking of France under Napoleon, Germany under Hitler, Rome under Nero, Judah under Manasseh, Israel under Ahab, etc.  Then, there are the good old days.  We think of “good” times such as England under King Richard, the United States under George Washington, Rome under Constantine, and Israel under David.  But the truth is that in none of those times were any of those countries completely good or completely bad.  They weren’t on a direct path of goodness or evil.

Under Hitler there was a resistance, and the same is true with Napoleon.  Under King Richard, there were the supporters of King John.  When Ahab was leading Israel astray there was the work of the prophets Elijah and Elisha to call people to truth.  As well as George Washington is remembered, there were problems like slavery and unequal voting rights for women at work in the system.  Even under David, Israel was not the beacon of righteousness that we tend to remember it as.

History is kind of like traveling.  I will remember getting to the destination, but I may not always remember how circuitous the route happened to be.  We may remember a time period as “good” or “bad,” but the truth is that it is likely that there are times of being on track and there are times of actually heading away from the desired destination or agenda.

Having taken this long time to set up the psalm, let’s now look at it.  What I explained above is actually the thought behind David’s opening lines. David looks to God and confesses that the Hebrew people have been wandering away from God.  They have strayed from the path.  They are on a more circuitous route than a direct path when it comes to their relationship with God.  As David says, they are in need of restoration.  They are in need of God to put aside His righteous rejection and embrace them with gracious love.  Even though David is remembered as Israel’s greatest king and the time period of David’s leadership is often thought of as one of the highest spiritual points of the kingdom, the truth is that they got away from the truth periodically – perhaps even often!  We remember it as a golden age, but it was just as flawed then as we are now.

But thanks be to God that there were prophets of truth among the people then.  David was calling the people back to God.  Prophets and priests like Nathan were there to teach and guide.  It would be possible to turn this wayward people around.  It would be possible to remind the people that with God we can do valiantly!  It is possible to remind people that it is only through the grace of God that we triumph!

Psalm 61

The thoughts of Psalm 60 lead us naturally into Psalm 61.  Psalm 61 is a psalm of praise.  God is the strong tower.  It is under His “wings” that we can find shelter, refuge, and protection.  It is in His tent that we can dwell forever!

I love the tenor of this psalm – especially knowing that it is from David and knowing how circuitous his own relationship with God was from time to time.  Here is a man who repeatedly makes big mistake after big mistake; yet he also repeatedly makes big success after big success through his faith, too.  David – whose family was fraught with interpersonal conflict, sexual sin, and all-around self-mongerism – is able to sing God’s praises.  He promises to sing them forever, even!  This same man whose life is filled with sinfulness is able to declare to God that he will fulfill his vows.  David – this sinful king after God’s own heart – is able to yearn for God’s steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him.

We all live lives that sometimes are on the direct path with God; yet sometimes we also find ourselves straying from God’s truth, too.  Regardless of which scenario we find ourselves in, there is always reason to turn to God and give Him praise.  There is always reason to look upon God and realize that he can lead us to a rock that is “higher than I.”  Confession, repentance, forgiveness, and praise should be a cycle that we never abandon throughout our whole life!


<>< 

3 comments:

  1. I really love your analogy on traveling as it so very true. However, it is your last line that really hit me hard. "Confession, repentance, forgiveness, and praise should be a cycle that we never abandon throughout our whole life!" I used to always think that praising God would get me what I needed in my relationship with God, besides that other stuff is REALLY tough to do. Confession - that means I have to admit that I did something wrong. WOW - that's not always easy to do. Repentance - not only admitting I did something wrong, but then saying I'll work on never letting it happen again and I will do what I can to seek restitution for what I've done wrong. Ummmm, yeah. That is definitely not easy - and I used to think being Christian was easy. All you had to say is that you believed, right? Then there is that final obstacle, Forgiveness. So, if I'm hurt by another person, then I'm supposed to forgive them and totally let it go. Then love them again. Can we just go back to praising? That's so much easier - singing, reading the psalms.

    I will say that through the past year or year and a half, I've come to realize I didn't have a complete relationship with God. Being a Christian is far from easy - you make commitments before God all your life and you have to live up to them. If you make a mistake, you have to admit you're wrong. You have to try (really really hard) not to do it again. Then you not only have to forgive others, you have to forgive yourself. I've found that when I do that, praise is more magnificent than anything I've ever experienced before. I know that I'm never going to be perfect and I know the cycle will continue endlessly, but I've also realized that it takes a truly strong person to stand for what is right. David definitely recognized that in this Psalm - and I think we can learn a lot from him. Well, I know I can...He keeps going and finding ways to praise God even when he realizes his shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate this comment. First, it is always great to hear how other people hear my words because then I have the opportunity to reflect and say to myself, "Did I really communicate what I wanted to communicate?" That kind of analytic process is very meaningful to me. So thanks for the opportunity!

    But even more, thanks for the opportunity to hear you not just hear my reflections, but then take them and run with them headlong! I love your first paragraph and how you talk about the first three being hard and the last one being easy. Because for me, it's totally not that way. For me I have little difficulty doing the first two. The third one I occasionally struggle with. The fourth is not something I find hard ... but it is something I am prone to forget! (And how embarrassing is it for me to have to confess that! LOL) Anyway, I love your perspective because it reminds me that the stuff I find easy is stuff other people find hard and the stuff I find hard some people find easy. So .. the next time I am having difficulty rememebring to praise God, I'll just look to your FB profile! (Which actually is a pattern that I do when I am having difficulty remembering to praise ... because I don't have to look very hard on your FB before I see a reminder.)

    Also, I really appreciate your testimony that you put up in your second paragraph. That stuff is golden. That is the stuff that we should read about one another and say, "See, that right there is why I need to be regularly faithful to God." We should all hope a year from now to be able to say how much we have grown as well as recognized how much more room we have to grow.

    Thanks for a great comment, and yay God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your words. I'm glad you find ways to praise on my FB page. I try to look at silver linings, but sometimes I feel like I dwell in the negative (especially this week with all the events that happened at my office.) I think it's good for me to hear that you find the other part easy. I never really looked at it that we all have our own strengths (but why wouldn't we!)

    God is so amazing and I have definitely seen HUGE growth in my life over the past year and I pray that it continues through the next year.

    ReplyDelete