Thursday, July 26, 2012

Year 2, Day 207: Psalms 63-64

Psalm 63

Psalm 63 is just what the doctor ordered today.  A few minutes ago I posted a comment on my blog post on Psalm 60-61 about how remembering to praise God is sometimes difficult for me.  Praising God is not difficult; remembering to praise Him is difficult.  Sometimes I get so caught up in my life: the schedule, the routine, and the things that get me off-track and behind schedule.  Sometimes I simply forget to praise God.

No sooner did I finish writing that comment when I turned to Psalm 63 and heard about how easy it is for David to turn to God and give Him praise.  So I paused for a second and I asked myself, “Why?”  Why can David seem to praise God whenever he wants?

I think I found an answer.  Certainly not the answer, because I believe there are many reasons as to why some people have an easier time praising God than other people.  But I do believe I found an answer: David – like Jesus – saw an opportunity to get in touch with God in everything around him.  {I realize I may be giving too much credit to David – but not Jesus!  David certainly had his moments of flawed weakness.}

Look at this psalm’s title.  This is a psalm when David is out in the wilderness running for his life.  Had I been there, it would have been easy for me to say, “Woe is me.  I’m thirsty.  I’m hungry.  My life really isn’t going that well.”  And I’m probably not giving myself enough credit here, but I am trying to make a point. 

It is far too easy to focus on our own life and how our life is affecting us.  It is far too easy to forget that God is with us in the dark times as well as the good times.  Remember that classic reflection called “Footprints in the Sand” about when we look back and only see one set of footprints in the sand?  It is at those times that God is actually carrying us!

That’s what I love about this psalm.  David has an incredible ability to look at his thirst and his desolate surroundings and turn it into a reminder about just how much he thirsts for God! David turns his wilderness experience into a reminder of just how much he is satisfied with the fullness of God’s presence.  David is a master of spinning life back onto a reflection of God – especially through his poetry in the psalms.  In today’s vernacular, David is a Spin Doctor for Spirituality.

So why shouldn’t we praise God?  Why shouldn’t our soul thirst for Him and be satisfied by Him?  Why shouldn’t we bless His name?  Why shouldn’t our hands be lifted up in praise to Him?  Why shouldn’t our lips sing His praises?  He is a great and mighty God, worthy of all our praise!

Psalm 64

As we now turn to Psalm 64, the focus is now completely different.  Psalm 64 is not a psalm of praise.  It is a psalm of petition.  David needs protection, and he is not ashamed to ask of it from God!

As with most psalms of protection, we also hear a great perspective on humanity.  How does David speak about the human beings around him?  Human beings plot secretly amongst ourselves.  We wet our tongues with bitter words.  We ambush the blameless with no concern for what we are really doing.  We hold fast to our evil ways.  We lay snares for one another.  We seek out injustice.

That’s not really a very cheery perspective on humanity – which should be no surprise to us.  Without God, human beings are pretty rough creatures.  When our self-centeredness is allowed to rise up to the surface we can absolutely be difficult people to be around.  One of the reasons that I love psalms of protection is because they all become healthy reminders of why we need God in our life.  We all need to be reminded of the people that we become when God is not present in our life.

Of course, it is also healthy for us to remember that God can and does protect us.  He does fight our battles for us.  He does give us the strength to fight with Him.  He does foil the plots of the enemy.  We can and should take refuge in Him!


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment