Sunday, March 17, 2013

Year 3, Day 76: Jeremiah 23

Shepherds

Jeremiah 23 has always been a very personal chapter for me.  I have heard the challenge of the first verse and taken it extremely personally.  However, I think I may have been a little wrong in my earlier way of seeing this passage.  The reason I have misread this passage is pretty simple.  All of my life I’ve heard the word “shepherd” as a symbol for the role of “pastor.”  {For the record, this is an analogy that I loathe.  I really dislike being called the “shepherd” of this or that.  From my perspective, clergy are sheep – sinners in need of redeeming – just like everyone else.  We have one shepherd – the Good Shepherd – see John 10:11-18.  There is no need for me to also be a shepherd.  I don’t mind being a “sheep” with big horns that helps look out for the rest of the flock.  But I am not about to replace Christ as the shepherd.  Okay, I’m stepping off of that soapbox now.}

But here is an interesting thing.  Do you notice who happens to ultimately be the opposite of the false shepherds?  Yes, God says that he will set up other shepherds.  But then God says that the line of David will produce a righteous Branch.  That righteous Branch will reign as a king.  He shall execute justice and lead people in righteousness.  That righteous Branch will save so that people can live in security.  Of course, this righteous Branch is Jesus.

But the really amazing point for me to understand today is that the comparison is not one of spiritual leadership but one of legal governance.  It is not the priests who are the subject of the opening sentence!  The “false shepherds” are the kings of the Hebrew people!  That is why it is so interesting that the righteous Branch is called a king!  Jeremiah 23:1-8 is not a passage condemning the religious institution of Judah and Israel but rather a passage condemning the governance!

Yet another reason to not want the title of shepherd placed upon my shoulders.  I am no king.  I’m not even a very good political leader at all.  There is no need for me to replace God’s King who currently sits upon His throne.

Spiritual Leadership

Of course, we don’t have to read very far to get to a passage that does talk about religious leadership.  Please don’t read my words above to say that I am giving a pass to the religious institutions of the Hebrew people.  In no way am I doing any such thing.  When we get to verse 9 the whole rest of the chapter will deal with the religious institutions of the Hebrew people.

I find one of the most appalling descriptions of people within this section.  “Both priest and prophet are ungodly.  Even in my house I have found their evil.”  Declares the Lord.  Those aren’t Jeremiah’s words!  The Lord looks down upon the spiritual leaders among His people and concludes both ungodliness and evil exists.

I think it is important to hold both of those words together.  You might have read that and wondered why it is that both are listed.  Can you have one without the other?

Of course, God cannot.  God cannot do evil, and by the definition of the word God cannot be ungodly.

Humanity, on the other hand, can.  Every single one of us is evil.  Scripture is quite clear on this point.  Paul tells us that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  In the same chapter of the Bible (Romans 3) Paul also declare that “none are righteous, no, not one.”  Not even one.  Evil is among every single one of us.

However, that doesn’t mean that ungodliness is among all of us.  We all sin.  We all do evil.  But some among humanity repent.  Some turn to God and turn away from their sin.  Some people in this world are called godly – in spite of the evil that resides in their heart.  We are not godly because of our nature; we are godly because we are willing to put our nature aside and embrace God’s nature.

So let’s return back to Jeremiah.  This is why I find the description of the priests and prophets so deplorable.  It’s one thing for us to say that evil exists among us.  Of course it does!  Evil exists in me.  If God did not help me to keep it in check, I would be a far greater sinner!  But to say that ungodliness exists among the religious leaders implies that the religious leaders are not longer turning away from the evil that is within their hearts.  If the leaders are no longer turning away, then those whom they teach are no longer turning away, either.  The greatest shame among God’s priests and prophets is when one of us stops turning from our sin.  {Don’t forget that we are all priests in Christ, right?}

A Horrible Conclusion

As I end this blog post, a part of me weeps inside.  As we come to the end of this chapter we talk about the nature of God.  He sees all.  He knows all.  He expects repentance.  So what happens when repentance does not come – especially among His priests and prophets?

God tells them that He is against them.  What a horrible fate!  I cannot imagine a life in which God was against me.  But it gets worse.  Not only is God against them, they are a burden to God.  Can you imagine hearing those words from God?  Think about that for a second.  What would it be like to hear God say, “You are a burden to me?”

My soul weeps.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment