Monday, May 6, 2013

Year 3, Day 126: James 4-5


This Means War

I must be in a Petra mood the last week, because opening up to James 4 has caused me to once more think of a Petra song: This Means War from the album of the same name.  In these opening verses to James 4 we hear a theme that he began in the last chapter when he was talking about the tongue.  There is a war being waged within us.

We want what we don’t have, so we steal and murder.  We covet and cannot obtain, so we fight.  We don’t have because we ask God for the wrong things.  Yet what I find the most striking is the word that James uses as an umbrella over all of these opening verses: adultery.  When we want what God doesn’t want for us, it is spiritual adultery.  When we are so focused on other stuff that we don’t ask God for the right things, we are being adulterous against God.  That’ll make you think today.  I know it has made me think.  For what it is worth, it is precisely this word that the Old Testament prophets use against the Hebrew people time and time again.

The Path out of Spiritual Adultery

So how do we avoid being spiritual adulterers?  Submit yourself before God.  Humble yourself in the presence of God.  Draw near to God and He will certainly draw near to you.  Do not take God’s place as judge, jury, and executioner.  Rather, accept that it is His role to fill and then begin to desire the things of His nature.  In doing so, we will prevent ourselves from becoming the victim of spiritual adultery.

Resist the Devil and he will flee from you.  Do not speak ill of one another.  Who are we to sit as judge over one another anyway?  Is that not God’s place?

In all ways, the path to avoiding spiritual adultery begins first with humbling ourselves to God and accepting His role over creation.  Then we can accept our role and live up to it rather than aspiring to something that God does not want for us.  I think this is a deep vein of fruitful thought today.  How much of what we do in our life that falls into the category of “generally not good for us” also falls into the category of “we wanted it but God didn’t?”

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men

At the end of chapter 4, James speaks about how we plan our lives.  We tell each other what we’ll do for tomorrow, the next week, the next month, or even the next year.  And then James points out just how pointless this approach is.  After all, can any of us actually really guarantee that we’ll wake up tomorrow?

Now that I’ve given you something to keep you lying awake in bed tonight, let me step back and talk a little more about what I think James means.  James isn’t saying that it is bad for to plan for the future.  I think James is absolutely a planner.  But what I think James is really saying is that our mistake is in saying, “Here’s what I am going to do.”  Rather, we need to stop and ask ourselves, “What is it that God desires me to do?”  When we pause to ask that question instead of jumping right to the question about what I want to do, then we won’t waste our time pursuing our own fruitless efforts.  I believe this is the true point of James’ words here in these last two chapters.

This naturally leads us into the middle section of James 5.  {I am skipping the opening section of James 5 because honestly I think it is very straightforward.}  James tells us to be patient.  He tells us that we are to be like farmers waiting for the harvest that God is going to provide.  After all, is it not better to achieve what God desires we achieve than to work and work for our own toil only to end up in some place that isn’t good for us?

That being said, I know why James gives this advice.  How many of us genuinely excel at being patient?  How many of us are great at sitting back and waiting for God to reveal His plan?  Yes, I know we would all agree that God’s plan is best.  But honestly, how good are we at waiting for it to happen?

Prayer

James concludes this letter with an exhortation to pray.  Pray in times of trouble.  Pray in times of celebration.  Pray when you are tempted.  In fact, when you are tempted confess to one another so that others may also hold you up in prayer.  Pray for the sick.

Reading this, you really do get the idea that prayer is an incredibly powerful tool.  At this point, I have to confess that prayer is personally the tool that I underuse the most.  I’m guessing this is true for many of us.  Every time I come across an admonishment to pray more often and to pray for each other I am convicted that I’m not doing the job that I should be doing.

Of course, I logically know all of this.  To make matters worse, I know that prayer is the foundation of relationship with God.  To be in relationship with God, one must pray.  That alone should be reason for a person to desire to pray more.  Who wouldn’t want their relationship with the living God and the creator of the universe to increase?

<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment