Thursday, May 23, 2013

Year 3, Day 143: Ezekiel 17

An Interesting Parable

This chapter in Ezekiel is one of those chapters that is fairly hard to understand what is going on.  There are two eagles, a bunch of trees being cut of, a vine, and some water.  What exactly is happening here?

The eagle is Nebuchadnezzar.  Nebuchadnezzar comes to Jerusalem (the cedar) and conquers it.  He takes Jehoiachin (the topmost bough) captive and drags him back to Babylon.  In Babylon, Jehoiachin is planted.  There he becomes somewhat prosperous for a conquered king (low growing vine).  Along with Jehoiachin Nebuchadnezzar took some of the people of Jerusalem like Daniel and Ezekiel (the “seeds”) and planted them in Babylon (beside the river).  Nebuchadnezzar sets up Zechariah to be a vassal king.  Although the Hebrew people were brought low, they would have survived if they would just submit.

However, Egypt (the second eagle) comes along and entices Zechariah to make a treaty.  Egypt promises protection.  Egypt promises military assistance.  Because of the rebellion, the humble vine would be torn from its roots and completely uprooted.  Jerusalem would be conquered completely.  It would be laid waste.  The people within Jerusalem would be killed or be dragged into captivity, all because they refused to submit.

Life in God

However, then God would take a shoot and bring it forth.  God will plant it Himself, nurture it, protect it, and cause it to prosper.  All kinds of birds will dwell under this great and mighty tree of the Lord.

Of course, the easiest interpretation of this part of the chapter is the remnant of Israel.  Many people claim that these holy ones who come out of the captivity are this special tree.  However, I see it a little differently.

I believe this special tree is Jesus Christ.  He is the “shoot” of David.  He is the one God plants.  His love and the grace that comes through His death is a majestic tree that provides shelter for all kinds of people (birds).  Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice will shelter people of all kinds of race, tongue, and nationality. 

Application

So where do we go with this crazy parable?  I think there are a few fruitful lessons that we can learn.  As always, those who are willing to look into the experience of the people that came before them can usually learn from them.

First, I think there is a clear reminder to submit to God.  Regardless of the circumstance, we need to submit to God.  Take a look at Zedekiah.  I’m sure he didn’t much care for being a vassal king under Nebuchadnezzar.  I’m sure he wanted to put on his big king pants and rule the world!  So when Egypt comes and promises help, he listens.  The problem is, God is not in the plan.  It is not where God wants the Hebrew people.  God desires to teach them about submission, not independence!  So when Zedekiah rebels in search of independence, God has to find a new way to teach submission to him.  In the end, the lesson is far harder to learn than simply being a vassal king to Nebuchadnezzar.

Second, I think there is a lesson on contentedness.  Are we content where God plants us?  Are we content to do what God asks of us regardless of how big, small, mighty, or menial that it might be?  Are we really willing to be that person that God wants us to be?  Or do we have our own aspirations?  Do we set aside God’s calling for our own dreams?

I think this one is actually a little more substantial than it appears at first.  How many dreams do I have for myself?  How many times do I fail because I dream bigger than my God-given talent allows me to reach?  I know we are told to dream big and shoot for the stars.  We should want to teach work ethic to our kids.  But at the same time, aligning my dreams with God’s vision is the most important part.  How many times do I dream of being a cedar when God has really called me to be a simple fruit-bearing vine?

Finally, I think there is a lesson is listening.  Who has our ear?  Who do we listen to whenever they speak?  Are they like Egypt, leading us away from God’s will?  Are they like the serpent in the Garden, leading us away from the life God intends for us?  Who has my ear?  What direction do those who have my hear intend to pull me?

This is a profound chapter.  For a confusing allegorical chapter, once we get through the material there is really a lot there.  Once again, Ezekiel has surprised me.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment