Sunday, August 4, 2013

Year 3, Day 216: 1 Peter 1

To Those Under Persecution

As we begin Peter’s letter, we need to understand the overarching theme.  This letter was written to a predominantly Gentile audience in Asia Minor.  The letter was written probably in the mid 60’s, just as the persecution against the Christians began to ramp up.  This is why being steadfast and obedient will take such a prominent position in this letter.  In fact, this is why being steadfast and obedient takes such a prominent position in almost all of the letters in the New Testament.  It is tough to remain steadfast when the world is out to get you.

Grace, Peace, Sprinkling of Blood, and Obedience

As Peter opens up this letter, we have a pretty typical greeting.  Peter identifies himself as an apostle.  He identifies his recipients as God’s elect.  I prefer the translation, “God’s chosen.”  Actually, the Greek word here is “eklektos” (κλεκτός).  You guessed it.  This word is the root for our word “eclectic,” which traditionally means “selected out.”  So the next time someone tells you that you have an eclectic taste, tell them it comes from the Father.

I would like to spend a little more time on this idea.  You see, up until Jesus, the Hebrew people were God’s “chosen.”  But here Peter is speaking to predominantly Gentiles.  These are Gentiles who were selected out from the masses.  The important question is why.  Were they chosen because they were inherently better?  No.  You see, the title “chosen” doesn’t mean better.  After all, look at Peter.  What is the title Peter gives to himself?  Apostle.  One who is sent on a mission by another.  Even Peter doesn’t latch onto a title that promotes.  Peter’s title is one that demonstrates service and submission.

So it is with the eclectics – the chosen ones.  They aren’t chosen to be better.  They are chosen to go.  In a very non-literal sense, I prefer the translation “purposed” to “chosen.”  These people are purposed by God to take His grace, love and mercy to the world.  They are sanctified by the Holy Spirit and purposed for obedience through that sanctification.

Living Hope

We are to have a living hope.  But look pretty closely at what it is that Peter says here about our hope.  It is kept in heaven for us.  {Compare this to Ephesians 1:13-14, which talks about the Holy Spirit as our guarantee of eternal life to come.}  Clearly, the point that Peter is trying to make is that we aren’t “there yet.”  We aren’t sanctified.  We aren’t made holy.  We aren’t perfect.  We aren’t free of our sinfulness.  We aren’t in any way, shape, or form better than the rest of the carbon-based organisms roaming this fallen creation. 

Our hope is yet to come.  In fact, it will be revealed in the last days.  Our hope is being guarded in heaven where it cannot be destroyed or tarnished because nothing in this world has access to it.

I’ve always wished God had chosen a different way for this.  I’ve always wondered, “God, what’s the point of sending us Your Holy Spirit if I’m going to largely be the same self-centered wrestling sinner that I was before Your Holy Spirit came into me?”  But these verses speak to answer that question.  You see, God wants us to receive an untarnished inheritance.  He knows if we were to get our inheritance here and now, it’d get dinged up pretty badly by the world.  Don’t believe me?  Let me ask you.  How did the world treat Jesus, who was the embodiment of our inheritance yet to come?  Oh yeah.  They dinged Him pretty substantially.  Granted, they couldn’t ding Him permanently.  But they dinged Him nonetheless.  So why does God wait to complete our perfection until after the resurrection?  He wants us to have a perfect inheritance waiting for us with Him in a place nothing can touch.

That’s pretty cool.  I’m not going to say it will always stave off my “Why not now, God?” feelings.  But it’s still pretty cool.  God is okay with me continuing to struggle with my sin now because there is a perfect inheritance protected by Him waiting for me to come.  Wow.  That’s cool.

Full Hope

Now that we understand that life after salvation is going to be tough, we need to understand the importance of persevering.  We need to understand the importance of wrestling.  We struggle with who we are so that we can become what God sees in us.  We struggle with who we are because we put our full hope in what is to come.

I wonder.  Do I put my full hope in what is to come?  Does God have my full attention?  As I go through life, how often is God really my full hope?  Or are there other things in life in which I put my hope, trust, and expectation?  Do I really live my life always considering the reality that I was bought with the blood of Christ?  Am I living my life as though I am in exile here while awaiting my time to be at home with the Father?

In order to answer that question, perhaps I should go a little deeper into the outcome.  What does Peter say is the outcome of a person who is living in this manner?  They are purified in obedience.  They love one another from a pure heart.  They rely upon the good news that is preached to us all.

Our full hope leads to full obedience which leads to full purification which leads to full response in love.  I don’t mean to imply full to mean complete.  We spoke about that earlier.  Complete inheritance will come after death and judgment.  But fullness of life can be obtained in God here and now if we simply remember to put our full hope in Him and obey His call.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment