Friday, August 16, 2013

Year 3, Day 228: Amos 6

Woe to Those at Ease

These first seven verses really hit home with me today.  Here I am in America, living in a comfortable life.  I’m lying on an airbed with plenty of blankets and sheets to keep me warm and clean.  I have running water.  I have indoor plumbing and a water facility that keeps my water clean.  I have more clothes than I could wear in two weeks.  I’m not fearing death by Malaria, Smallpox, Menangitis, Dengue Fever, or anything else.  {Although truth be told there were a few weeks of reoccurring illness when I came back from Honduras that made me begin to legitimately fear having contracted Malaria.}

So here I am in my air-conditioned house having eaten a salad for lunch made from food of which I had no part in its growing or raising or baking.  I am feeling very American.  {How’s that for a definition of what it means to be an American?}

What do I read here in Amos?  Woe to you who are at ease.  Woe to you who lie on beds of ivory {no, mine is not made of ivory.  But it is made of air!}  I begin to wonder.  How different am I than those fat cats in Israel with whom God got really irritated?  Yes, I know that being rich is not a sin.  But being rich in a system that oppresses the poor of the world just might cause me to orbit too close to the “guilty” side of the equation for comfort’s sake.

As a point, let me introduce you to a very fascinating world clock.  It can be found at www.poodwaddle.com.  {You can just click that, it is a link...}  You can do all sorts of neat things.  One of the coolest things you can do is hit the “now” button.  It will keep track of everything that it keeps track of from when you hit that “now” button.  For the record, I hit it as I began to write this post.  Since I’ve started writing this post, 26 people have died from Malaria in the world.  59 people have died from HIV/AIDS related complications.  123 people have died from respiratory illnesses.  64 people have died from diarrheal diseases.  Yeah.  I’m still here.  Fat cat sitting on an air bed typing into a computer.

“Therefore, they shall now be the first of those who go into exile.”  Verse 7 cuts me pretty deeply – right where I deserve to be cut.  I’m not saying God is looking at my opulence and condemning me for it.  I’m wondering if God is condemning me because I continue to sit here regardless of the state of my wealth.  Why do those who live at ease find it so difficult to get motivated to do something about those who struggle to grasp onto life each and every day?  Why does the third world continue to exist when the first world lives in such luxury?  Yes, I know I am over-simplifying.  Wealth is not the answer to poverty.  Education is.  Sometimes places in the world don’t want to hear truth, so they continue in their current existence.  I don’t mean to too grossly oversimplify.

What does God say?  He abhors the pride of Jacob.  He hates his strongholds.  Those are pretty strong words.  I wonder how much my lifestyle gives me a pride God abhors?  How many strongholds do I have in my life that God hates?

Wormwood

As we look at the back half of this chapter, I can’t help but listen hard at the analogies that we hear.  Justice into poison.  Fruit into wormwood (poison).  What should result in a life of righteousness is turned into a life of horrible self-centeredness.

I know what you are thinking.  Is it my fault for being born in America?  No.  But look around.  What is it that we as Americans have begun to fight over?  Celebrities and their rights.  Athletes and their pay.  Paparazzi and their invasiveness.  Government officials and their fat lifestyle.  How much in bed together our government and health insurance agencies happen to be.  The gasoline efficiency of my car.  Whether I slap a donkey or an elephant onto my Facebook page every 4 years.

I have to ask myself, what is any of that next to malaria?  What have I faced that can even touch the locust devastation brought on recently in Madagascar?  I should turn this wonderful near-utopia into which I was born into a blessing upon the world.  {I’m not saying we don’t have our problems, but when compared with the crises of the rest of the world, we do have a pretty tame life in America.}  But what do I do?  Complain that I can’t find a ripe avocado in a grocery store to save my life!  Really?  Is that to what my life has come?  If that is the worst thing in my life with which I must deal, I think God has every right to look down upon me and wonder.

Just for the record, this blog post took a little less time to write than I thought.  Normally my blog posts here take 45-60 minutes.  Today’s post only took me a bit over 30 minutes.  But I want to return to the world clock.  Here’s what has happened in the now 35 minutes of typing:

Deaths: 2,895 by abortion.  261 by respiratory infections.  217 from perinatal conditions.  134 by diarrheal diseases.  127 by AIDS/HIV complications.  92 from tuberculosis.  56 from Malaria.  54 from Childhood Cluster diseases {pertussis, poliomyelitis, diphtheria, measles, and tetanus}.  22 from Meningitis.  17 from Protein Malnutrition.  10 from tropical diseases.  10 from Iron Deficiency Anemia.  8 from STDs.  7 from Hepatitis B.  4 from Hepatitis C.  1 from Dengue Fever.

Other stats: $2,293,576 made in drug trade revenue.  {In 35 minutes, are you kidding me?}  1,471 thefts.  495 burglaries.  308 assaults.  86 divorces.  34 acts of non-assault/non-rape sexual violence. 32 homicides.  21 rapes.  11 sexual offenses against minors.

How long will I be content living under “my own strength?”  How long will I live in comfort because of what “I have made for myself?”  When will I start to be appreciative of what God has given to me in such a lavish blessing and begin to focus on pouring out of God’s generosity into the lives of others?  How much of this world can I change while lying in comfort upon my bed of “ivory?”

<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment