Thursday, March 13, 2014

Year 4, Day 72: Exodus 23

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Identity

  • Identity: Our true identity comes from the Father.  Only when our identity comes from God can we be obedient in ways that satisfy our person to our core.

Over the last few days we’ve spoken a good bit about how the Law reflects God’s grace – even if the Law focuses on crime and punishment and retribution.  The Father desires relationship.  The Father desires that we live in a way that His character shines through us.

This leads me to the topic of identity.  If the Father desires to shine through us, then how is it that I commune with Him?  How do I spend my time?  Do I spend my time around the things of His creation where I can learn about His character or do I spend time around things of human creation where I can learn the character of humanity?  How can I gain identity through the Father if I so seldom put myself in His proximity?

This is what is so neat about Exodus 23:10-19.  These verses can easily be read as legal statements indicating how we should and should not live.  Certainly they are that.  But they are so much more than that.  They are statements that put us in the midst of God’s creation so that we might get to know the Father who gives us identity.  They are statements that help shape our time and our activity so that we ensure that we stay rooted in the presence of the Father.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment