Thursday, April 17, 2014

Year 4, Day 107: Leviticus 18

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Identity

  • Identity: Our true identity comes from the Father.  Only when our identity comes from God can we be obedient in ways that satisfy our person to our core.

I speak an awful lot about identity on this blog.  Or, at least I have in my first four months of the newer format.  But I think it is a topic that human beings living in the 1st World can stand to look at frequently.  I sure know that I can!

Anyway, I think it is especially valuable to look at identity in the midst of a chapter on human sexuality.  Where does our identity come from?  Do we act upon the desires of God, the desires of the people around us, or the desires of our inner flesh?  Is my identity based on who I think I am, who God has made me out to be, or my sexual conquests in life?  The question, “Who am I?” is quite a valid question to ask when speaking and thinking about sexuality.

God makes it pretty clear in His word.  All sexual acts make one ritually unclean.  Sexual acts outside of marriage make one sinful.  A man having sex with anyone other than his wife is not acting according to God’s desire.  A woman having sex with anyone other than her husband is not acting according to God’s desire.  His identity for us is very clear.  If our identity comes from Him, we have sex with our spouse.  If our identity comes from Him, sex with our spouse is the only sex that brings true fulfillment in our life.  We have no need to be like the world when our identity comes from Him.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment