Friday, April 25, 2014

Year 4, Day 115: Leviticus 26

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Identity

  • Identity: Our true identity comes from the Father.  Only when our identity comes from God can we be obedient in ways that satisfy our person to our core.

Anytime we hit one of these “choose righteousness or choose the consequences” passages it is a great time to talk about identity.  After all, we have the ability to choose what is best for us or choose to follow our own ways.  At the heart of that issue is our identity.  Do I want what God wants for me or do I want what I think is best?

Of course, all identity questions eventually lead into obedience.  It is one thing to know what is best; it is another thing to actually do it.  But before we can get to obedience we must take the time to first go through identity.  Before we can obey God we have to take the time and discern God’s will for my life.  We have to take the time and discern how God desires me to live.

I think this is a huge point for most of the 1st World to consider.  So much of our lives are spent deciding what I want.  Who do I want to live with?  Who do I want to marry?  Where do I want to go on vacation?  What job do I want to do?  What things do I want to buy?  What hobbies do I want to consume my free time?  It is important for us to remember to go to God for identity and not myself.  As the opening verses of this chapter promise, when we do that, things will go well for us.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment