Saturday, April 26, 2014

Year 4, Day 116: Leviticus 27

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Up

  • Up: Up is the word we use for what we worship.  If we are following God’s will, God will occupy the Up position.  Our life, our identity, our mission, our family on mission is all derived from Up.  This is why God needs to be in our Up position.

As we end the book of Leviticus, it is a great place to be reminded of our true relationship with God.  Is He the source of our identity?  Is He the source of our values?  Is He the source of our authority?  Is His passion driving our passion?

Here at the end of Leviticus we see God placing value upon people.  In my theological commentary from three years ago I speak about the difference between reading these words in an eternal spiritual context versus reading them in the context of worldly pursuits and worldly economics.  But with that point aside, the one thing that we hear quite clearly is that the things that are dedicated to the Lord are more costly to redeem than the things of the world.  If you dedicate a sheep to God and then want to buy it back from God so you could do with it what you wanted, you would pay one fifth again plus the price of the sheep.

Is that really how we perceive our spiritual life?  Is my time with God the most valuable time in my day?  Is my time in worship more costly to redeem than my time of vacation or even my time of work?  Is Sunday church something to cross off my to-do list so I can get on with the day or is it a time to be valued and prized?  When God is truly in our focal point of worship, His things and His ways dominate our life.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment