Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Year 4, Day 106: Leviticus 17

Theological Commentary: Click Here 


Discipleship Focus: Character, Forgiveness

  • Character: Having the interior life that is necessary to support the work that God sets before a person.  It is hearing from God and obeying.  It is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.
  • Forgiveness: Obviously, forgiveness is when our sins are absolved by God.  We do not deserve this forgiveness, but God grants it to us anyway.  We cannot earn forgiveness, but God gives it to us anyway.  As we are forgiven by God, He also asks us to forgive others.  In fact, Jesus Himself teaches us to pray for our forgiveness in the Lord’s Prayer when He says, “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.”
Our character should reflect the character of God.  We are created in His image.  He has created us with an identity that comes from Him.

So what is the character of God?  Yesterday we saw that God is a God of forgiveness and atonement.  He is a God interested in relationship and He knows that to be in a relationship with human beings implies that He will have to deal with our sinfulness.  He has.  Through Christ, He dealt with sinfulness in a very profound manner.

In this chapter we learn that God is a jealous God.  He doesn’t want us worshipping other gods.  He doesn’t want us relating to other gods.  He wants forgiveness to begin and end with Him.  He wants fellowship to begin and end with Him.  He wants community to begin and end with Him.  With God, we need nothing in this world that does not come from Him.

Today as I read this chapter I find myself again being thankful for the forgiveness that comes through Him.  I find myself not wanting to take that for granted.  I find myself being grateful for having the character of God upon which I can rely as a model and goal.  I find myself pondering how I can make my character match the character of this jealous and loving God who wants to be a part of every dimension of my life.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment