Sunday, May 17, 2015

Year 5, Day 137: Galatians 1

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Authority

  • Authority: Our calling.  This comes from God as king.  Because He calls us as His representatives, He gives us authority to go and do His will.

What I love about Galatians 1 is that Paul is very much a no-compromise apostle in his writing.  He is blunt that his authority comes from God.  He does not get his authority from a counsel.  Neither does he get his authority from an individual or a financier.  Paul gets his authority from Jesus Christ.

This is a really powerful comment.  Who do I serve?  Who do you serve?  Am I only able to speak truth because other spiritual people have approved of me?  Or does my truth come from God the Father and the king of the universe?

I don’t know about you, but I know this is easily answered but difficult to live out.  It is easy to call out that our authority comes from God alone!  But it is difficult to stand up and live it out.  How often does my opinion of myself come from the approval of others?  How often do I think that I can only have God’s wisdom if I am taught it by other people?  We should get our authority from God.  Salvation comes only from Him; the same is true for wisdom and authority.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment