Sunday, May 24, 2015

Year 5, Day 144: Ephesians 3

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Identity

  • Identity: Our true identity comes from the Father.  Only when our identity comes from God can we be obedient in ways that satisfy our person to our core.

I often wonder about my identity.  It is easy to let the world around me determine my own identity.  I am a man.  I am intelligent.  I am an American.  I like living in a place defined by fried chicken, cornbread, sweet tea, and cheese grits.  I enjoy teaching.  I like hockey.  I have a few favorite restaurants and a few favorite foods.

But is that really the identity that I want to broadcast?  Sure, there is nothing sinful in that list I give above.  There is nothing wrong with having those characteristics in my life.  But is that really my identity?

Read Ephesians 3:16-19 again.  What is Paul’s prayer for the Ephesians?  What identity does he pray for them to have?
  • Strong with power through his Spirit
  • Christ dwelling in your hearts through faith
  • Rooted and grounded in love
  • Strength to comprehend
  • Knowledge of the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge
  • Filled with all the fullness of God.

Honestly, when people should think about me, what do I want them to think?  Do I want them to think of a hockey-loving teacher who likes fried chicken and cheese grits?  Or do I want them to think of a person who embodies the list of attributes that Paul sets forth here?  I think the choice is clear.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment