Monday, September 28, 2015

Year 5, Day 271: Psalms 124-125

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Protection

  • Protection: In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus teaches us to pray that God might deliver us from evil – even the Evil One.  Sometimes we need God’s protection from the sin around us.  Sometimes we need protection from the sinful people around us.  Other times we need protection from the sin that lies within ourselves. In any case, Jesus’ point is clear.  We need protection from the Father to make it through each and every day.

Psalms 124 and 125 speak to us about protection.  In Psalm 124 we have a great blunt statement.  God has not given us as prey to their teeth!  God has allowed us to continue!  God has not abandoned us to neither our sinfulness nor the sinfulness of other people.  He watches over us and keeps us from the full brunt of evil in the world.

Psalm 125 takes this idea a little more abstractly.  The main thrust of Psalm 125 is that evil cannot abide in God’s righteousness.  Evil cannot reside where God is present.  Our greatest form of protection is the presence of the Lord.

I know that this is true in my life.  Many times people have come against me with the desire to do harm.  Yes, they have been able to impact my life.  But I’m still here.  God’s righteousness is still with me.  I am still to be found in god’s kingdom.  The evil of this world has not overcome me.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment