Monday, September 21, 2015

Year 5, Day 264: John 16

Theological Commentary: Click Here


Discipleship Focus: Authority, King

  • Authority: Our calling.  This comes from God as king.  Because He calls us as His representatives, He gives us authority to go and do His will.
  • King: This is the pinnacle of the Kingdom Triangle.  When we look towards God’s position in the universe, we acknowledge that He is an omnipotent king.  Authority comes from Him.  Power comes through His authority.  He is looking for representatives for His kingdom.

As Jesus prepares His disciples for the time to come, He takes some time to make sure that they understand the world.  Jesus’ opening words in this chapter are haunting.  There will be people who think that by persecuting the disciples that they are doing the work of God.  In other words, human beings can become so twisted in their thought process that they become convinced that they know what the will of God is and they stop checking with Him.

This is both an issue with authority and King.  We will start with God as King.  If we truly believe that God is King, we will continue to check in with Him.  We will continually study God’s Word.  We will always approach life with a perspective that I might be wrong – which will keep us humble.  We will always approach life with a perspective that we have something to learn.  All of these attitudes in a Christian come from believing that God is King, not me.

When we are humble before the King, we will then be able to work out of God’s authority.  When He is King and I realize that I may make mistakes, I realize that my authority isn’t worth much unless it comes from Him.  When I am always pausing to make sure that what I am doing is from God, I’m truly working out of His authority rather than out of my own.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment