Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Year 7, Day 151: Numbers 36

Theological Commentary: Click Here


I find my reaction to this passage strangely different to the chapter that I read a week or so ago.  When we first read about Zelophehad, we get the impression of a grace-filled God who desires to accommodate circumstances more than inflexibly enforce legislation.  I remember praising that chapter well!

In this chapter, though, I find myself chaffing against the same pronouncement.  However, I think I have more against the way the pronouncement is made than the pronouncement in general.  Do you hear how the women are forced to marry within the clan even though they are retaining their inheritance?  For me, this has all of the trappings of maintaining the status quo than it does of being compassionate in the moment.

Don’t get me wrong.  It is highly possible that I am extrapolating a legal ruler meant for that particular time and place into a new time and place where it does not fit.  In those days, people would not stry far from home.  They would not likely have many relationships outside of their clan.  They would probably marry within their clan in the normal course of action.  In the time in which this was written, the ruling would not have likely had any significant consequences.

My point in all of this is that we need to be careful.  We should never seek to relegate teachings in scripture to their culture and think that they have nothing to teach us.  Equally wrong, however, is to forget that the teachings in the Bible are cultural documents.  At times like this, when rules are being established in preparation for conquest of a new land, we should remember the context.  There is a need to balance the letter of the Law with the spirit of the Law.

The good news is that I find this to be a friendly struggle.  This is the very struggle that Jesus felt in his time on earth.  This is the battle that he had with the Pharisees, Herodians, and Sadducees.  This is a battle that we as human beings don’t often get write, and we certainly always struggle with it.  It is good to have chapters like this to remind us that being obedient to God is about balance in the context of life, not strict and blind obedience.

<><

No comments:

Post a Comment