Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Year 1, Day 151: Numbers 36

Dividing Up the Land: Where’s Our Focus

At first pass this chapter leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.  I am naturally reacting quite strongly against this chapter’s intent.  You might ask, what’s so wrong with this chapter?  Well … simply put I think it is horrible advice.  The women have to marry from within their own tribe in order to preserve the inheritance?  Isn’t that a bit … restrictive and out-of-focus?

I’m not talking about this from a genetic angle.  Even if we divide the total population into the 12 tribes there is still a big enough population within each tribe to have a successful gene pool.  So that isn’t my big concern – or any concern, really – at all.

No, I’m also not looking at this from a “women’s rights” perspective, either.  The truth is that a ruling such as this affects women as much as men.  Think about it.  If no women who have any kind of land inheritance can marry outside their tribe, then no man can marry them, either.   Since marriage is between a man and a woman, if no women can do it then by definition no men can take them in marriage, either.  So this objection of mine has absolutely nothing to do with gender rights or even gender equality.  This passage is wonderfully balanced from a gender equality perspective.

Also, let me remind everyone at this point of the mistake I made when I wrote this blog post originally three years ago.  We’re not talking about all women, here.  A Hebrew woman could marry any other Hebrew man.  The woman would receive a dowry and then be sent off on her merry way to become a part of the new tribe’s family.  The only women we’re talking about here are women who have rights to land.  We’re talking about women who have no brothers to carry on their father’s family name.  Those are the only women about whom we’re speaking in this passage.

That being said, my strong reaction is to the concept of “maintaining the status quo.”  This rule of restrictive marriage is all about keeping the property in the “right clan.”  This rule is actually about establishing that “blood is thicker than water.”  This ruling is all about making sure that we take care of our own before we think about others.  That bothers me.  I’ll wrestle with this for a while because I know it is in the Word and I believe the Word is inspired unerringly from God.  But right now I still don’t have to like it.  {Ooooh, human rebellion is deep and strong, isn’t it?}

The Problems with the Advice of Numbers 36

Having declared the possibility that today I am a rebel against God’s Word, let me at least lift up a few legitimate reasons why.  Hopefully in seeing the reasons you’ll understand that I am sour to this chapter not because I desire to go away from the Word but rather to bring out nuances of perspective within the Word and how this chapter compares to New Testament agendas.

Here’s what I am wondering: Why it is more important that the twelve tribes maintain their boundaries within Israel than it is important that Israel as a whole maintain its integrity?  Is it really more important that each tribe of Judah maintain its land than having the land continue under the influence of the Hebrew people in general?  A ruling like this seems to enforce the belief that we have 12 different tribes banding together for a common goal rather than a united people under a single God.  That bothers me.

In a faith that is plagued by as many “Christian denominations” as we have, I tend to desire unity rather than schism.  I don’t think the answer is ever “form another denomination” – although sometimes the ways of the world force that unfortunate reality upon church organizations.  But I believe more in the body of Christ than I do in the division of denominations.  I would rather sit down and listen to someone tell me about what God is doing in their life than how their life is enriched by their denomination.  For me, unity in Christ through the Holy Spirit far outweighs any self-inflicted division we may put upon ourselves.

I think of the New Testament passages where we are told that there is no distinction among mankind (Galatians 3:28).  I think of the passages that enforce our status as priesthood within the new covenant over and above our worldly connections (1 Peter 2:5-9).  I know what you are saying.  Those are New Testament references and they come from a different perspective than the Old Testament.  Certainly they do.  But I think it is important here to state that there are subtle differences in perspective on the matter of property ownership – or even what’s really important in life – between the New Testament and the Old Testament.  I’m not saying one is absolutely right and the other is absolutely wrong.  I’m not trying to separate God’s Word.  I’m just saying there are multiple perspectives offered on certain topics.

Reaching Effects of Policy

This idea of what is really important bleeds into other aspects of life as well.  How many times are we as a church most interested in our “property concerns” before things like making disciples?  Or, how many times do you hear people saying “I can’t go worship there, I’m not Lutheran.”  (Or Baptist, Methodist, whatever).  We as human beings are naturally concerned about keeping our stuff and associating with people who are most like us.  I find that Jesus actually taught exactly the opposite.  We shouldn’t be concerned with our stuff and we should be willing to go to those who are different than us because they probably need us the most.  I find the fundamental thrust of Jesus’ teaching to be unconcerned with issues like “which tribe gets to keep the land in perpetuity.”  When we get tied up into policy, we easily lose sight of what is really important.

Any way, I struggle today with this passage.  From my perspective, what is important is that the land is God’s land rather than the actual tribe to which the land belongs.  But then again, from my perspective the fact that those are God’s chosen people is more important than knowing which individual tribe they come from. 

Personal Confession

Maybe I need to grow a little bit in my faith before I can understand why maintaining the individual land division among the tribes is important in the greater scheme of things.  After all, let’s say a woman marries into a different tribe – from the perspective of this chapter all of the offspring would be members of the joined tribe anyway!  They would still be Herew.  They would still have a chance of growing up in relationship with God. 

I don’t know.  Maybe that is the real heart of the issue.  I suppose after many years it might be possible for a tribe to eventually become non-existent if they have more female babies or if their male babies die young.  Maybe this chapter is about making sure that all twelve tribes continue to “exist.”  But even if that is the heart of the issue, I am left asking the question as to why a person’s tribal designation is more important than the fact that they are a member of God’s people in the first place!

For Christians, why is my denominational name more important than the fact that I am a Christian?  Every time we say we won’t go to a church because it isn’t _____, we are precisely saying that my denomination is more important than my place in the body of Christ. 

I don’t know.  I doubt I’ve been very helpful today.  I don’t think I’ve been very pastoral, either.  This chapter leaves me with far more questions than answers.  I hope you fared better than I.  But if you didn’t, at least today you get a chance to see my struggle.


<>< 

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much appreciate your honesty John, that's one of the things I really like about your blog, and why I read it as part of my devotional time.

    Let me offer that I don't think this applies to ALL women (or as you say, men by association).

    I think this applies only to Women who inherit the land because there is no male heir. In Numbers 27 we first read of these ladies. They become the land owners, and therefore I see Numbers 36 as a special rule for women whom have land inherited through them. If there exists a male heir for the land. I think in verse 6 it is said "his is what the LORD commands for Zelophehad’s daughters"... note that its very specific in who the rule is for. I think you could go as far as to say this particular clause is ONLY for those women specifically, and argue its not even a general rule for women who inherit land.

    An interesting study may be to see what Jewish law (Halakha, most noteably the Mishneh which the Jewish people wrote to interpret the law of the Torah). I'd be curious what they say as their interpretation of this. After all, when there were only the 12 (14 is you substitute Joseph's sons) clearly the women where not of Israel as they'd be marring their own sisters.

    Not sure it helps, just saying if I read it as you have I fully agree -- its not a good rule in my mind either. Not that it matters, God rules are good, even when I don't get them. But, as I read it being limited to two women, or perhaps the smaller set of women who inherit land, I don't see it as that bad. With the year of Jubilee it becomes pretty important really.

    Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! {Slaps hand on forehead} I knew I was missing something. See, this is why it is so important to do theology in community. Because clearly I missed a very relevant point - and thanks for bringing it out, Tom! This rule does seem to apply only to those women who have no brother to inherit the land.

    Now, this doesn't address the issue of "dowry" - although most dowries admittedly didn't contain land. Most dowries contained animals, items, or money. In those cases this rule would not apply. So, maybe dowries never contained land when there was a male heir to the land.

    All this being said, though, it doesn't speak to my greater point. That point is ... who cares whether the land is of Judah, Reuben, or any other tribe so long as it remains under the control of God? I still have that disconnect with the text.

    In a way, it's like everyone having their own pew in church (or chairs for those who have come out of the 19th century and discovered moveable seating!). Does it really matter what pew we sit in so long as we are in God's presence? Maybe I'm just being to critical and too humanly stubborn. Maybe I should simply accept it and move on. I just can't help but think that by putting the perspective on the tribes they were missing the forrest for the trees. But, I guess I could be said to be missing the trees for the forest.

    Either way, thanks for the comment. You certainly brought an important light to bear on the passage - a light that I had completely missed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, just a note to say that I have asterisked my blog post to point people here to your comment. I opted to do that rather than alter the blog post because that seems more genuine. Again, I appreciate the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree on your bigger church. To make it more real to us, its the same thing we both fight against with denominations (and I only speak for you because I know your view). If you believe in Jesus Christ, I don't care which tribe you're with (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.) So, I do agree with that point completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom, I want to add a person note of thank-you to you. This comment is written immediately after I just did my devotions on Deuteronomy 1 - in which I talk about rebellion. I want to say thank you for helping me in the midst of my "rebellion." Let me explain.

    What I think is really cool about God is how He works. In the middle of my blog for Numbers 26 I freely confess that my own human rebellion is strong. Yet, I posted the blog post that I did because I was infact struggling with the text. I could have easily posted something else - some froufrou blog post - that talks about how great God is. And sure, God is great, but the words wouldn't have been genuinely written. Instead, I posted through my rebellion.

    You, Tom, accepted the post for what it was - and rightfully saw an important point I had missed. You accepted my rebellion for what it was, came along beside me, redirected the portion of me that needed redirected, and then also supported the more New Testament understanding that faith in God is far more important than the labels we use to categorize ourselves.

    I just wanted to publically say thank you for taking a public witness of how public theology should be done. And to say thank you again for providing your insight yesterday.

    This is the kind of dialogue that I hoped for when I began the blog 6 months ago. It may not happen daily (and not all passages require it to happen daily), but I am going to soak it all up when it does!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks John, but no need for thanks either. I enjoy your blog, and have gotten personal benefit from it multiple times.

    I love that you're open to discussion and dialog on the topics, as I often get a lot more from items discussed over just read.

    ReplyDelete