Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Year 7, Day 347: 1 Kings 6


Theological Commentary: Click Here



This chapter is largely about the construction of the temple.  At the surface, unless you are an ancient builder or an interior designer this chapter isn’t all that important.  However, there is one really neat set of verses right in the middle of this passage.



In the midst of the building process, God comes to Solomon and imparts some wisdom into him.  God says, “If you follow my decrees, observe my laws, and keep all my commandments and obey them, I will full the promise I made to David your father.  I will live among the Israelites and will not abandon my people Israel.”



I think there are three levels of deepening importance to these words.  The first level is that God is showing Solomon what is really important.  The building pales in comparison to the hearts of the people.  God doesn’t say, “If you build me the nicest temple ever” or “If you build me the biggest space.”  God says that what will keep Him happy is if the hearts of the people stay focused upon God and His ways.  That’s what is truly important.



Second, we need to remember our history.  The people don’t stay focused on God.  The people will fall away.  God does bring the Babylonians and the Assyrians to conquer His own people.  God does send His own people into exile because they don’t stay focused upon Him.  God is not a God of threats.  He is a God of promises.



Third, note that even if we look upon point number two we need to remember that God doesn’t abandon His people completely.  When they repent, God allows them to return to the land and try again.  God is not just a God of promises, He is a God of forgiveness and repentance.  He is a God who cares more about restoring relationships the right way rather than the absolute execution of perfect justice.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment