Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Year 7, Day 354: 1 Kings 13


Theological Commentary: Click Here



This is an interesting chapter in which we have an unnamed prophet stumble, another prophet lies, and a king refuse to repent.  As I said yesterday, it doesn’t take long for human civilization to begin its downward spiral.



To start, I’m going to talk about the prophet who gets mauled by a lion.  In one respect, I think this is the least offensive story.  Here is a man who listened to God for the most part and God sustained him.  This is a prophet who went on a journey without food or water and God absolutely kept him from his need.  He prophesied against the worship of false gods happening within the reign of Jeroboam and again God sustained his prophecy.  His only error was believing a lie.  Granted, it is an error that leads to God’s judgment and the death of the prophet.



I honestly can’t fault the prophet too much for being human.  Certainly, he chose poorly and met the consequences for his action.  However, I have been in his shoes.  I have heard Christians speak as though they have a message from God.  In some cases, the message even seems legitimate!  In can be hard to discern.  I can’t fault the prophet for being confused by the lie when a man comes and tells him that God gave him a change in plan.



On the other hand, I often don’t hear a direct command from God.  What makes life difficult is that I am constantly discerning God’s will from among the voices of people around me.  This prophet who dies was responding to a direct charge from God – at least as far as we know.  While I can’t fault the prophet for being confused, the reality is that he is still disobedient to God’s charge to him.  He is guilty, although certainly understandably so.  He meets the righteous consequence of his disobedience.



Now we turn to Jeroboam.  Jeroboam experiences his hand withering into disfunction and then being restored by a prophet of God.  In my book, that is enough to convince me that God is the one I should be worshiping.  However, that is not the case with Jeroboam.  In spite of seeing his hand wither and his alter being torn apart supernaturally, he refuses to change.  Jeroboam lifts up new priests and appoints them over the worship of the foreign gods in the high places.  In his quest to do what is right in his own eyes, he ignores the warning signs of God.  Jeroboam is more concerned with pleasing himself than paying attention to what God is trying to say to him.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment