Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Year 8, Day 283: Psalm 146


Theological Commentary: Click Here



Psalm 146 gives an interesting point to ponder.  We should put our trust in God and not in other people.  On the surface, this makes sense.  I find the challenge, though, when I look a little deeper and actually ponder if it is true in my life.



Please don’t misunderstand me.  I genuinely do believe that salvation comes only from God.  Eternal life is a gift received only through His hand and purchased by His blood.  There is no doubt in my mind from where eternal life comes.



Looking past eternal life, though, I wonder if I do give off any indications of looking to somewhere other than God.  For example, I am currently staring a hurricane in the face.  It’s easy for me to pay lip service to trusting God, but I can’t help but wonder just how much trust I am actually putting in my house.  Yes, God provides my house for me.  But, I think that’s the trick.  I need to remember that my house is simply God’s provision.  My house won’t keep me safe during the hurricane, God will.  God may use my house in the process, but it is still God.



As another example, take my job.  I use my paychecks to buy things like food, clothing, insurance, gasoline, transportation, utilities, etc.  It is easy to think of my job as being the source of my life.  Again, though, is it not God who provided my job for me?  Is my job the source of my life or is it God?



In the end, I need to be diligent about not confusing God with the person or thing God is using in my life.  There is nothing wrong with having a mentor.  There is nothing wrong with someone helping out another person when they are in a rough spot in life.  There is nothing wrong with getting a paycheck and using it to buy things in life.  But in all of these things, it is important to note that God is the true source of each of these things.  God provides.  God gives love we can share with one another.  God is the source of our life.



As the psalmist says, He is the one who rescues.  He is the one who saves.  He is the one who provides.  He loves.  He watches over us.  It is God who deserves our praise.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment