Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Year 8, Day 303: Proverbs 12


Theological Commentary: Click Here



Reading through Proverbs 12 gives us a plethora of insight into wisdom and folly once more.  What caught me specifically is the proverbs that have to deal with the spoken word.  As the saying goes, better to have the world think you a fool than to open your mouth and prove them correct.



The big proverb that hit me today was Proverbs 12:16.  “The fool shows his annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult.”  I love this saying because it reminds us to keep our emotions in check.  I can’t tell you the number of times that I have said something that I wish I could take back.  I can’t tell you the number of times that I spoke out in my ignorance and had to eat my words once I understood a little more.  The fool shows his annoyance indeed.  The prudent overlook an insult.



Take verse 18 as well.  “The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”  How often can our words cut deeper than we intend?  How often can a few well-placed kind words bring about deep healing?  Sometimes our words are the best weapon we have.  The question is how will our internal character deploy our words?



We need to learn to choose our words wisely.  We also need to use our words effectively.  It’s up to us to determine how our words can best help the people around us become the people that God desires them to become.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment