Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Year 9, Day 23: Isaiah 39


Theological Commentary: Click Here




There are 2 really neat thoughts that come through in this passage.  The first one is comes through Hezekiah’s desire to show the envoys of Babylon all that he has.  Isn’t the pride of humanity really foolish?  Hezekiah has just come through the siege of Assyria.  He thought his life was over.  As soon as it is over, some people come from Babylon under the guise of wishing him well.  Hezekiah takes them in and shows them all the splendor of Jerusalem.  It never crosses Hezekiah’s mind to think that maybe these Babylonians were coming in to see if it is worth bringing forth a siege of their own!



Of course, I’m not one who is in a place to judge.  After all, how often do I do something cool or unique and I want to show other people?  I don’t think that they might steal the idea and take the fame and glory for themselves.  I don’t think that they might use it to their own glory.  No, I simply want other people to be impressed with me (there’s the pride part) and I get so caught up in the vain pursuit of pride that I don’t really think.  That just about sums up Hezekiah’s action in this passage – and I’m no different.



The second lesson in this passage shows Hezekiah’s focus.  He hears Isaiah’s critique of his actions and tells him that the day is coming when the army of Babylon will conquer Jerusalem and plunder all that it has.  Look at his response.  He says that it is a good word from God.  Don’t get me wrong, all words from God are good.  But look at his motivation.  He is fine with the judgment because there will be peace in his day.  In other words, he doesn’t really care what happens to Jerusalem after he dies, what’s it to him – even if it does mean that his own offspring will suffer?



I find this to be a horribly narrow and narcissistic attitude.  Yet, it is rather popular among human beings.  Why should I care if it doesn’t affect me?  Why should I care if I don’t get hurt by it?  Why should I care unless I have skin in the game?  These are essentially the same thoughts as Hezekiah offers up.



The reality is that human beings talk a great talk.  We talk about social justice, peace, and equality.  Yet, the truth is that what we really want is social justice for me, peace for me, and equality for me.  Most of us can’t be raised up to be bothers about social justice of other people.  After all, how many people around the world can’t find food to eat?  How many people around the world can’t find quality water to drink?  How many people send their nights in place that is neither safe nor warm?  Yet how often do we do anything about it (myself included)?  We talk a great game, but most of us feel like Hezekiah on most days.  If it doesn’t affect me, why should I care?



I thank God that He is not like most of us.



<><

No comments:

Post a Comment