Monday, March 19, 2012

Year 2, Day 78: 1 Corinthians 10

Danger, Will Robinson!

Okay, I’ll confess.  Knowing what I know about the letter to the Corinthians – that it was a letter Paul wrote because he was displeased with what was happening there – the opening verses read like a huge warning.  Paul reminds the Corinthians that all the people that Moses led out of the Exodus passed through the “water.”  That water would be the Red Sea. They all followed the pillar of cloud/fire.  They all got to see the Mount Sinai experience.  So where is it that Paul ends up with that?  God was displeased with them.  In other words, even after all this experience with God they still rebelled!  Proximity to God’s work does not make one godly!

I feel that is a huge warning to any church that seemingly takes their faith for granted and tries to focus elsewhere than faith-related matters.  Ever have an experience with a church that only knows how to argue?  Ever have experience with a church that seems to manage to do anything and everything under the sun except make disciples?  Ever have experience with a church that has sin in their midst – as we all do – but has difficulty identifying that sin, repenting from it, talking about it, and moving beyond it?  These are all things that characterized the Corinthian church and it is to them that Paul gives this warning in the opening verses of 1 Corinthians 10.  It is the churches that are like the Corinthian church that should hear this warning loud and clear.  It is the people of the world who are most like the members of the Corinthian Church who need to hear this warning.  From time to time, it is me who needs to hear this warning.

Learn

In fact, that very point is the thrust of Paul’s middle section in this chapter.  We need to learn from their example.  We need to see the mistakes of other people and pay attention so that we don’t fall into the same pitfalls.  Or – should we fall into those same pitfalls – we need to pay attention to the mistakes of others so that we understand the importance of repenting of those pitfalls.  It was one thing for the ancient Hebrew people to sin against the Lord.  It was entirely another thing for them to harden their hearts and not repent of the error of their ways.

None of us can endure every temptation successfully.  All of us have sin in our life.  We should not think we are powerful enough to endure everything.  But we should think that with God’s help we can overcome.  We should think that with God’s help we can escape the clutches of sin.  We should think that so long as we repent of our sins that we can avoid the rebellion that emboldened the wicked generation of Hebrew people as they came out of Egypt.

Glorifying God

Paul concludes this chapter with a lesson on focus.  This is a great lesson to learn.  Whatever I do, give glory to the Lord.  The lesson here is simple: if my actions are centered on bringing glory to God’s name, then I will be setting myself up for a good result.  This makes sense.  If I do something and God is clearly glorified, then who can stand when they bring an argument against what I have done?  What Christian would for any reason desire to draw into question that which genuinely glorifies God’s name?

Yet, there is a danger here, too. I should not think that just because I think something glorifies God’s name that it actually does.  I can convince myself of a great many things.  The proof is not in how I think about the pudding – to speak metaphorically – the proof is actually in the pudding.  I can think the pudding to be tremendous.  But unless the pudding is actually tremendous, I have not actually made tremendous pudding.  The same thing is true with glorifying God.  I can think something to be so great that God is glorified.  But unless it actually results in people giving glory to God, then it is just something that I think glorifies God.  We must not allow ourselves to be convinced that something will happen just because we think it will happen.

Christian Community

I also like the way that Paul seems to bring hospitality and relationships into the picture.  If something might cause a Christian brother or sister to stumble, I might not choose to do it because I think of them.  If I am invited to a person’s house and they serve me something that is legitimately from the earth but not something that I am accustomed to eating, I will choose to eat it anyway out of respect for them and the Lord.  Christians are always concerned with following God first and thinking of the other person second.  This is why the two greatest commandments are to love God and love your neighbor.  Hospitality and our relationships with the people around us are very closely tied to our relationship with God.

However, we should note the balance.  Choosing to do something or not do it is not always where the issue of right or wrong rests.  I can choose to do something holy or choose to not do something holy because of the people around me.  Just because I choose not to do something does not make it unholy.  It just means in that circumstance it wasn’t the right time because it might offend someone.  I think this is important.  I can choose not to do right things because of how it might impact other people.


<>< 

No comments:

Post a Comment