Friday, April 29, 2011

Year 1, Day 119: Numbers 4

Age Discrepancy

I found something strikingly interesting today.  In other passages where the fighting men were counted, we often see the tally include men from 20 years old and up.  But in this passage, speaking in terms of temple/tabernacle service and as well as the tabernacle movement, the age requirement goes up to 30.  The question then is, why?

I think it points us to a need for maturity.  If we are going to be spiritual leaders, we must have a sense of maturity.  Ever meet someone who makes all kinds of promises yet never acts on them?  Ever meet someone who makes all kinds of claims of faith but never puts any into motion?  Ever meet someone who puts forth all kinds of grandiose claims for belief and religious understanding but never follows through?  These are all problems of maturity.  A mature person knows that simple promises and faithful adherence are much better than grand statements with little follow-through.  God is telling us quite simply that anyone can pick up a weapon and fight in battle; it takes a mature person to be a priest for God.

Why Is Maturity Important?

I don’t think we should cruise over this point so simply.  We in the church are very good at training people to “talk the talk.”  I know; I was there.  For many years of my life I talked a talk that would have anyone convinced I was a true believer. 

But when you look past my works, what did you see?  A person looking past my works would see someone who was just like everyone else in the world.  I played my video games, listened to my secular music laced with its drug culture, sex culture, and me-centered innuendoes, and didn’t give God the time or focus that I should.  I was all about TV, bank accounts, and popularity. 

Sure, I could talk the talk.  I could even quote Bible verses – all those memory verses I learned as a child!  But I was a fake.  I was a fraud.  Hear that statement well.  

I was fake.

I was nothing.  I was not mature enough mentally and spiritually to actually believe in having my actions match my talk.  I’m still not where I want to be, but at least now I am wise enough to see the problem and do something about it.  Maturity doesn’t grant perfection, it grants recognition of problems and motivation to at least try and correct them.

I think this is one of the marks of maturity.  A spiritually immature person can’t admit what they don’t know.  The truth is that they are not even consciously aware of what they don’t know.  The spiritually maturing person is at least aware of what they don’t know and what they spiritually cannot do.  The spiritually mature person is aware of what God wants them to do and does it.

The Task of Moving the Tabernacle Through the Wilderness

When it came time for God to lay out the tasks of the tabernacle and its function, God gave the tasks to those who were supposed to be mature enough to handle it.  I think we would be wise today to pause and ask ourselves this same question.  Those of us old enough to know better, are we mature enough to be given the tasks of the church?  Are we mature enough to uphold those responsibilities?  Or do we shirk them off and convince ourselves that God’s work – and a relationship with him – really aren’t as important as all the other things we occupy ourselves with in this world?

Yet, God still set limits.  The Levites were to carry the instruments, curtains, and structure of the tabernacle.  But they still are not to go in and see anything until the priests have made it ready.  Even when the tabernacle was pulled apart, people had their tasks and their prohibitions.  We all have a job to do.  We also all have jobs that God asks others to do.


<>< 

2 comments:

  1. Still here, reading every one -- just haven't had much to say lately. Today I do : )

    1. I freely admit I was fake at times, especially in my younger days. Heck, I'm sometimes still fake -- but at least now I notice it and try to fix it (by confessing, and then repenting moving forward not continuing to be fake). So, I fully see your point, at 22 I just wasn't ready to see it that way.

    2.your question: Those of us old enough to know better, are we mature enough to be given the tasks of the church? Are we mature enough to uphold those responsibilities?

    I think so. I gave this a LOT of thought when I was nominated to be an elder (and before I accepted it). As a interesting aside, I was 28 at the time and not yet 30 myself. I think part of it ties to #1. I knew I wasn't perfect (although I was qualified by Timothy's standard), but I fully admitted I wasn't, and knew I needed Jesus to be a good Elder. That in and of itself I think is part of the key.

    I wonder when I've 50 how I'll view 36 year old me -- that's an interesting though for maturity discussions that I'll have to answer in 14 years!

    We need strong in their actions and faith leaders and ministers (meant in the general sense, no the pastor sense).

    As a word of encouragement -- thanks for the blog and keeping it going through the "tough" books. It's part of my daily devotional time every day (and if I miss one, I catch up). So, while I know you also get benefit from your words and organizing them -- I think its important you know others do too!

    Tom <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Tom!

    I have asked myself the same question (when I'm 50, how will I see my 35 year-old self?). And I know the answer - assuming that I continue to grow in the faith. At 50, I will see my spiritual immaturity even at my current age of 35 - ironically enough, as I currently write about the immaturity of my youth. I know that's your point, I guess I'm just concurring. I really hope that it is true for all of us who grow. If we are not more mature in 15 years, then something is wrong.

    I appreciate your personal story about becoming an edler. At 28, that is a pretty big responsibility. Kudos to your pastor for involving someone so young in the task, assuming he also walked beside you through it (which I'm pretty sure he did knowing what I know of your faith life the last few years).

    Also, thanks for the word of encouragement. I am glad you are still reading. Even if it is only a few people, I often think how amazing it is that there are people out there who are committed to a daily walk through the Bible. When I first dreamed of the idea of walking through the Bible online for 3 years with anyone that wanted to walk with me, it seemed like such a long time.

    But looking back, the first third of the first year went by so quickly. I remember being amazed that I had stuck with it long enough to get through Genesis (well, not really amazed that I did it - I'm stubborn enough to do it. Actually, I was amazed that I never once had to muster up the desire to do it - the desire was just always present through the grace of the Holy Spirit). And then to now look back and say that together we've done Genesis, Exodus, and Leviticus ... and all without fighting a desire to give up. I think that is what is amazing to me.

    So thanks for the note of encouragement, and I reflect the same note of encouragement back upon you. Stay with me, my brother!

    ReplyDelete